canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226
Plumbing

I want to replace my toilet seat. I have a new seat ready,

but cannot shift one of... Show More
but cannot shift one of the screws holding the present seat on underneath the toilet basin. It's a winged, plastic thing. There is very little space around it. I've tried pliers, wrench etc but can't really get a grip on it. Don't know what's holding it (rust? urine?!) - the one on the other side has unscrewed with finger pressure quite easily. What else can I do to free the screw?
Category: Plumbing
Show Less
canuck the pro, Plumber
replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

canuck the pro :

If you open the caps above the bolts there is a screw head there. The bolt is designed so that when you turn the screw the nut underneath will not turn.

Customer:

Cannot get at screw head - top is just a chrome disc. I can turn it but that just turns the screw and the bolt together.

canuck the pro :

Are you replacing the seat or the toilet? Do you know the model or can you send a picture?

Customer:

Just the seat. Toilet is 'Vitra'.

canuck the pro :

ok. Give me a minute so I can pull it up.

canuck the pro :

The chrome cover on top should come off. If you slide a knife edge under the edge of the cap it will pry off and expose the screw head.

canuck the pro :

I think I was looking at the wrong model.

canuck the pro :

Here is directions for removal of that model. http://www.gushbathrooms.com/uploads/products/Changing%20a%20Pluto%20seat.pdf

Customer:

Thanks. Have had a look. Fittings not exactly the same, though similar. But nothing to help with getting the chrome disc off (it has a sort of hook attached - that's what the seat hole slides on to).

canuck the pro :

So they were the type that expand when tightened then. Did the new seat come with anchors?

Customer:

New seat comes with everything to attach it - chrome disc has hole underneath for bolt to screw into. You then place bolt through the hole in the pan itself, put a couple of plastic washers and a plastic wing nut-type thing on other end, then tighten up the wing nut. Did our other toilet earlier today. So I just need to be able to free up the holes in this toilet, then bingo. Don't think I will get hooked chrome disc off. Think best bet is to apply something to loosen up the wingnut/washer - any suggestions?

canuck the pro :

Do you have a hacksaw blade? Might be easiest to just saw the end of the bolt off.

Customer:

Maybe. It would be hard to get in at it.

canuck the pro :

If it is a bit loose maybe it would be easiest to slide the hacksaw blade under the bolt head and saw it off.

Customer:

OK, that worked - eventually! Have now discovered the other one isn't as free as I'd thought, so will have to do that one same way! Thanks.

canuck the pro, Plumber replied 3 years ago.
How much insulation should I put in my attic? How often should I need to replace my roof and shingles? What is the best way to remove wallpaper? I am mounting a toilet paper holder, where should I put it? Where are the biggest air leaks in a house usually found and how can I seal them and is it possible that the house can be too airtight? Is it possible to add colour to concrete? Can I add a toilet to a space that does not have any plumbing? How can I clean my brick exterior or brick fireplace surround? Why does marble flooring always feel so cold? Can I lay a new subfloor over and existing one? What dissolves super glue? Should I close my attic vents or crawl space vents at any season of the year? What should my water pressure be in my home? How can I check for leaks in my plumbing system? Can I add a doorbell if there is no wire? How do I get my garage door to be more quiet? How do I seal my drafty windows? How can I put a larger, brighter bulb in my ceiling fan or light? Why is there a stale smell in my bathroom? How can I clear a slow drain? What does a plumbing trap do? You might know a guy who knows the answers to these or any other questions! http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-canuckthepro/ Save me to your browser favourites and ask me any time you like. We can discuss all the details of the answer any time you like! Mike