Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Our gas central heating boiler was "serviced" recently. The

Our gas central heating boiler was "serviced" recently. The "engineer" used our garden hose to put water into the flue. This damaged the fan which had to be replaced. The servicing company are now demanding payment for the new fan.

Advice please
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

If he sis this to refill the condense trap then it must be done slowly

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you have the GC number of the appliance I will show you the correct way to do it according to the Manufacturer's Instructions

Customer:

GC number of our Alpha CD18R is 41 532 04

XXXXX XXXXX :

http://www.alpha-innovation.co.uk/custom/upload/instructions/CDR/CDR%20Install%20&%20Servicing%20Inst%2017-11-08.pdf

XXXXX XXXXX :

Item 7.4, do it internally!!!!!!!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Which means do not put it down the flue.....

XXXXX XXXXX :

Page 22

XXXXX XXXXX :

The boiler MUST ALWAYS be serviced as per Manufacturer's Instructions and should not be attempted unless they are on site.

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you do not have a copy you can print one from the link I sent you or he must produce his own

XXXXX XXXXX :

I assume he took the burner out to clean it as explained in the MI's?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Otherwise it is not a "service"

Customer:

Thank you for your reply. I have a copy of the manufacturer's service instructions. As far as I can tell, apart from putting water into the flue, the remainder of the service was carried out properly. (I assumed that all would be OK and did not stand watching him.

XXXXX XXXXX :

This is why you should not pay, they have not done it right and blown your fan themselves.

XXXXX XXXXX :

You should argue this and send them a small report about how he poured water down the flue and point them to the page mentioned in the link I sent you about how to perform this correctly.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Speaking to Gas Safe threatening to take them to the small claims court might keep them quiet, as their engineers require additional training on this appliance

Did you get everything you need?