canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

There is a waxy substance coming from my water tank in the

Customer Question

There is a waxy substance coming from my water tank in the loft. I had central heating and a combi fitted when I moved in 15 years ago and did'nt even know there was a tank in the loft.... Do you have any idea what this wax is. It is covering everything I have stored up there!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. the substance is something called biofilm. Here is some information about where and what types it could be. https://www.dwrcymru.com/_library/leaflets_publications_english/customer_infomation_sheets/ci_slime_staining.pdf

Customer:

Is it dangerous or corrosive?

canuck the pro :

It's not corrosive or dangerous but it is creating an environment for mold. Do you have a cover on the tank?

Customer:

It has a wooden covering around it. I have never actually seen the tank

Customer:

Can the tank be removed or do I need it for cold water supply?

canuck the pro :

You can get a polymer liner for the tank yes you do need the tank.

canuck the pro :

It should have a cover on it so possibly the cover is not fitted very well. If you confirm there is a cover fitted then put a dehumidifier up there and get the area dry. That stuff only likes dry environments.

Customer:

Can you give me some idea of the cost to get it done?

Customer:

Just a ball park figure, so I don't get fleeced?

canuck the pro :

I will have to think on that one a minute. I have to convert from U.S.

Customer:

I can do the conversion

canuck the pro :

I would say about $350.

Customer:

What would you charge to remove the wooden casing and recover the tank?

canuck the pro :

That is a tough one. That kind of estimate I do an onsite assessment. From what I've seen you have about the same issues with service people as we do in Canada. Being in America, Canadians can learn a lot about customer service. Do you have a plumber that you use that you're comfortable with?

canuck the pro :

I've got to step away for about 30 minutes to read some bedtime stories but I will be back, ok?

Customer:

Okay, that gives me something to work with when getting quotes.

Customer:

OK...

canuck the pro :

Well if something comes up you can still ask questions even after rating my service. I will always respond. Mike

Customer:

Sadly I do not even know a plumber. Moved back to England 15 years ago and had British Gas put in central heating and a Bosch Combi for me. Didn't even know there was a tank. Haven't had any problems (I lie, the radiator in my bedroom doesn't work despite me bleeding it), and it was just Christmas when my daughter came and got the decorations down from the loft that I saw all this white waxy stuff have covered them all even though they were bagged. I then took my life in my hands and climbed up and saw that the wooden slatted tank was oozing this waxy stuff. When I say loft, it is just the roof space....

canuck the pro :

I see. I wish I could recommend someone for you. Everyone needs a plumber they can trust. I base all of my business from word of mouth. Maybe some friends or neighbours can recommend someone.

Customer:

Word of mouth and good recommendations are the way to go for good business - I haven't settled or found friends in the UK

Customer:

I thank you for taking the time to respond..

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman
You are very welcome. I am glad to help. Thank you very much for the bonus! I am almost always online so you can always ask your next new question and request me. Here is a link to my profile if you would like to save it to your bookmarks. http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-canuckthepro/ Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I do this myself?

The clean up part? The system could use a good flushing. That would be about all that you would certainly need a professional for. Then you can be sure the tank is covered and clean the area yourself. Use a dehumidifier to get the dampness out of the area so that there is not an environment that it can remain in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have a few photos - not the best as it is very dark up there... Is this what you are taking about?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Very likely hard to say from the picture but really couldn't be anything else.