Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Am trying to drain then remove a radiator. I think I have both

Customer Question

Am trying to drain then remove a radiator. I think I have both valves turned off but have drained 3 buckets of water from it so far (single panel, approx. 700mm x 1400mm). Switched heating back on and all rads in the house are hot save for the one I have been trying to drain which makes me think maybe I have stopped refilling but can't understand why so much water coming out and more to drain?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

You should get about a bucket and a half form that one

Andrew Smith :

did you turn the valves off with an adjustable spanner?

Andrew Smith :

Can you open them again and close them again and try and seal the valves tighter

Andrew Smith :

If the valves are nearly shut the radiator will not heat up

JACUSTOMER-yvweclbz- :

I turned what I believe is the inlet valve on the left clockwise as far as I could with a adjustable spanner. The valve of the left has a plastic cap over the top with small piece of metal showing through, same shape and size to the valve on the pipes I switched off and on when fitting washing machine (apologies, not familiar with terms!).

Andrew Smith :

Did the other valve get turned off with an adjustable spanner - hand tight will not stop the flow

JACUSTOMER-yvweclbz- :

Valve on the left yes, valve on the right I just turned the plastic cap clockwise as far as it would go - do I need to break the cap off and tighten with a spanner?

Andrew Smith :

It should pull off if there is not a screw in it

JACUSTOMER-yvweclbz- :

There is a v. small flathead screw in the middle. Is this likely to be the only issue? I'm not at home so need to do this tonight, I can remove the cap and tighten the valve - does water flow in both sides?

Andrew Smith :

Yes

Andrew Smith :

In and out both sides so they both need to be tight

Andrew Smith :

Come back to me later once you have done this

JACUSTOMER-yvweclbz- :

Andrew - removed cap and turned clockwise as far as I could. Water still coming but I can now feel the radiator heating up now too (heating currently on).

Andrew Smith :

Perhaps there may be grit on the seat of the valves?

Andrew Smith :

You may need to drain the system and swap the valves for better control, this would be an ideal time to fit a TRV if not already fitted.