Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Hi,i have a 2 year old biasi condensing boiler,new wilo

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 2 year old biasi condensing boiler, new wilo varispeed pump. radiators and circuit is old but ok. Since the system was installed it has always cut out, if the towel radiator is turned off, it cuts out around 4 times a day on either error 15/17/18. If I leave towel radiator on quite hot (waste of energy) allowing good post flow after boiler reaches temperature, runs for a couple of weeks at a time without cutting out. Board/heat exchanger/thermistor was changed by Biasi, thought to be blocked, but same problem, cuts out with error 17. I have to overheat my utility room with towel radiator on to keep system going. To be fair Biasi is trying hard to get over this. My frustration is, if I threw boiler away and fitted an old(inefficient)type boiler, it would actually be more efficient, due to lack of unwanted heat via towel rad. Any suggestions would be appreciated. regards Pete

ps. Room stat in lounge is left high so rest of house can be controlled on TRV's

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

How does it perform if you take a different TRV head off at the other end of the house instead - is the towel rad quite close to the boiler?

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

the towel rad is at the other end of the house,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

it may be that when boiler reaches temp, the run on may not get rid of heat,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

this upsets temperature readings, boiler cuts out

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

are you thinking it may be that when boiler reaches temp, the run on may not get rid of heat,

this upsets temperature readings, boiler cuts out?

Andrew Smith :

Yes, what happens if you turn it off altogether but leave the rest on (make sure a TRV is off)?

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Hi Andy,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

do you mean

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

turn off towel rad

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

but leave all but one trv left in place except one(remove it so there is full flow through one rad)

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

cheers

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Pete

Andrew Smith :

Yes, let me know how the system copes over the next 12 hours or so

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Hi Andy,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

I have done this,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

will let you know,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Pete

Andrew Smith : Ok, come back to me tomorrow
JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Hi Andy,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Boiler cut out, but the rad I took valve off, manual valve was only open 1/2 turn,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

so maybe not enough flow.

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

,

JACUSTOMER-dmgha13t- :

Peter

Andrew Smith : If you have TRV's then try and have them all open at least 1 full turn and then balance them from there