canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

Hello, I have a question on how to restore chrome taps that

I have a question on how to restore chrome taps that have black marks on them due to the use of Harpic toilet cleaner to clean a shower panel? The panel itself is aluminum and I have used Astonish orange paste to polish away black marks made by the use of Harpic toilet cleaner and the panel itself is looking good now. However, I cannot budge the black marks left on the chrome taps on the panel. I have tried using the Astonish orange paste but it did not work. Please can you advise me how I can restore the taps please?
Many thanks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Any chance the paste has taken the finish off? The finish may have been taken off of the handles as it is chrome plated.

Customer:

Hi, no the paste did not budge the black marks at all it was the harpic toilet cleaner that caused the staining, not the paste.

canuck the pro :

I would think that toilet cleaner would take the finish off as one of the ingredients is hydrochloric acid

Customer:

So there is no way of reversing this or any product that would counteract the staining effect of the acid?

canuck the pro :

Well the thing is, the finish has been removed, not stained. If it was a stain you could remove it by soaking it in vinegar. I am pretty certain that the finish is ruined though. I am sorry to tell you that.

canuck the pro :

Sometimes the answer is not the most pleasant and I do regret it.

Customer:

Thank you. You were very helpful and very responsive.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. I hope next time I can deliver some better news. I will be here if you need me at all. (we have had trouble with the rating system today let me know if you have troubles and I can get it processed manually) Mike

Customer:

Ok, many thanks Mike and have a good weekend. Sherry

canuck the pro :

You too, Sherry! We'll be having a rainy weekend but I enjoy them the same as sunny! Hope you have a great weekend as well.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman