Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

Worcester/Bosch Greenstar 24i. I hope you can help please.

Customer Question

Worcester/Bosch Greenstar 24i. I hope you can help please. I know how to increase the water pressure by using the tap feed next to the boiler but alas although I can hear the water trying to get through, the gauge is not budging at all. Both British Gas and Worcester Bosch want £300/£400 for one-off fix and feel that I could possibly rectify this issue with you help. Many thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Are there any leaks in the system? Have you checked the pressure temperature relief valve is not dripping? It will look something like this and may be piped outside

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

It is on the boiler and the piping may be piped to the outside

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Sorry, not sure what you mean, can you be more specific. I need baby-steps help

canuck the pro :

Sure, no problem. So if you look at the picture above, do you see a similar valve on the boiler on the hot piping?

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

I will have to go into the garage to look for this on the unit. If I find it, what am I to look for?

canuck the pro :

Follow the pipe coming out of it and see if there is water dripping out of the end.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

OK, will go and look, will be back in a few minutes, thanks

canuck the pro :

Very good.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Nope, cannot see anything like image in picture. No leaks anywhere from the boiler. Used feed tap again, and heard water flushing but gauge remains at zero.

canuck the pro :

If you turn on the fill valve do you hear any water going through any other piping on the boiler? There has to be a temperature relief valve although it may look quite different.

canuck the pro :

It may look like this

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Thanks but I need you to be more specific - you say 'there has to be a temperature relief valve, although it may look quite different' - unfortunately, what you say is double-Dutch to me. Are you saying the above image of the pipe is within the boiler unit? The only items outside of the garage wall is the flue and the overflow outlet pipe, everything else is within the boiler or garage walls, taking pipes to wherever. I reiterate without being rude, that I need to be talked through this in clear steps please.

canuck the pro :

No problem. There is piping coming out of the bottom of the boiler. It would be on the hot water piping. If you look at the piping coming out of the bottom of the boiler then the piping to the left. It would be a valve that looks similar to what is pictured above. It would be screwed into the piping and another pipe would come out of it and either be piped to the floor or floor drain or piped to the outside. You will want to find the end of that pipe and see if water is dripping out of it.

canuck the pro :

Maybe the issue is that there is a cover on the bottom. You may have to remove the bottom cover.

canuck the pro :

They don't always have a cover.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

OK. I doubt I will find this at all, as I said there is no visible signs of leakage at all. I will go to garage and look again. I certainly cannot see evidence of any piping along walls which are leaking. Will get back to you in a moment or two.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

No joy. Searched high and low, took off all lagging but nothing remotely like you have described. Have you got details of my boiler, the Worcester/Bosch Greenstar 24i ? There are definitely no leaks anywhere on the piping. Could it be a leak somewhere within the piping in the house?

canuck the pro :

No problem. Sorry about any vagueness to my direction as it depends on how the piping is installed. Maybe another option is to look on the outside of the building in that area of the boiler and see if there is a pipe dripping outside.

canuck the pro :

If you had leaking on the piping itself it could be anywhere on the heating piping but I would think you would have evidence of that. The most likely is that the temperature relief valve has tripped and the piping would be directed somewhere that it could drain like a floor drain or outside.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Apologies but if you read my dialogue, you will see that I have already said there is nothing on outside, only Flue and overflow outlet pipe.

canuck the pro :

Where are you adding the pressure? At the valve on the bottom of the boiler?

canuck the pro :

Here is a video that may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUG0SPpofs

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

I have already said in my original message "......................how to in the water pressure by using the tap feed next to the boiler but alas although I can hear the water trying to get through, the gauge is not budging at all.

canuck the pro :

I understand your frustration. i want to help the best I can and I am sorry if I cause any reason for you to repeat any information. If you watch the video does that help clarify anything for you?

canuck the pro :

Maybe the valve you are turning on is the temperature relief valve?

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Thanks but think I will have to call a heater expert to call in to fix the problem. I cannot rate the service, it wasn't poor but it wasn't excellent. I wont have any need to use this service again, so how do I cancel the 7 day free trial without further monies being taken from my account. Thank you

canuck the pro :

So the video did not help?

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Will try it now and get back to you

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Looked at video thank you. Went back to garage - searched every piece of piping and nothing remotely looks like anything which was in video. A lost cause!

canuck the pro :

Ok. I suspect the issue may be that the valve you are turning on is in fact the temperature relief valve and the water is exiting outside.

canuck the pro :

It would happen just as you have described.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

Will have to go and find a heating specialist, hopefully to fix my heating/hot water unit.

canuck the pro :

Well if you watch the video you may find you are turning on the wrong valve and may not need anyone at all.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

The valve I am using is the feed tap which the installer showed me how to use 5 years ago and for which worked each time the water pressure dropped. I have no idea where the temperature relief valve is situated as I have not needed to use it. This is a different fault as I said, the water pressure gauge is faulty. Certainly there is no sign of leakage within unit or piping. Only hope an internal pipe has not sprung a leak.

JACUSTOMER-z2g7y0qg- :

How do I stop payment being taken from my account as the outcome of the call was unsuccessful.

canuck the pro :

I will forward it to customer service if you no longer wish to try to find the issue.