Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Hi - I recently had a new shower fitted with a rainwater head

Hi - I recently had a new shower fitted with a rainwater head and hidden pipes. In the last couple of weeks, every time I turn it on, it runs fine for a minute or two then stops for a time. When it starts again, the water doesn't flow evenly but seems to pulse. Any idea why and more importantly, what I can do to fix it...? Thanks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Is it connected to a combi or a pump?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Is there a pump pulsing at the same time the water does?

Customer:

As far as I know, there isn't a pump, although the plumber who installed the shower might have done something to increase the water pressure from the boiler.

Customer:

Also, it might be worth noting that I have a second shower head and the water runs through that absolutely fine.

XXXXX XXXXX :

This type of head uses a lot of water

XXXXX XXXXX :

The only way to increase the water flow is to increase the flow rate by taking the inlet filter out, but the faster the water the coller it gets so it would have no effect if you like a hot shower

XXXXX XXXXX :

You may find that the flow rate is too slow for the shower head - you will have a minimum on the paperwork

XXXXX XXXXX :

Perhaps the boiler cannot keep up with the flow rate anymore

Customer:

Okay, how do I find out and more to the point, fix it? Where's the inlet filter for example? And why would the boiler initially be able to keep up the flow rate but not anymore? It's a good boiler and relatively new.

XXXXX XXXXX :

The inlet filter is on the cold inlet to the boiler

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you have the make and model of the boiler, and also the shower head - let's just try and compare the 2 sets of figures.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Is the shower better at off-peak times? Perhaps you have a water pressure problem around there?

Customer:

Ah, I'm at work at the moment so no way of finding that out immediately.

Customer:

Water pressure is definitely a problem in my area...

XXXXX XXXXX :

That's fine - just come back when you have the information

XXXXX XXXXX :

Low water pressure will do this to your shower

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are they working on the water mains in the local area, this tends to drop the pressure also

Customer:

So might it sort itself out if the pressure goes up locally...?

XXXXX XXXXX :

The higher the head above ground level, the worse it will be

Customer:

Not to my knowledge, although they have been repaving recently. And I'm only on the first floor so not too far above ground.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes if they are having problems, but they only have to guarantee 1 bar of pressure, which means your shower upstairs may only be getting 0.5bar of pressure and with a shower head like that then it may just dribble out

Customer:

Oh, I see. That sounds like the problem. I'd just been spoilt because for the first few months of having the shower, it seemed to work fine.

XXXXX XXXXX :

My advice would be to monitor it over a couple of days and see if it is better late at night, or though the night

XXXXX XXXXX :

A smaller head with less holes may be the only option if it does not improve sufficiently

Customer:

Okay. Should I still find out the model of the boiler and shower head or do you think water pressure is the problem...?

XXXXX XXXXX :

To be honest it sounds like the water pressure

Customer:

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. And a smaller shower head may be the only answer. I'll monitor over the next few days and see if it picks up. Thanks for your help. Do I need to do anything else to make sure you get paid...?

XXXXX XXXXX :

I think there is an "accept" button somewhere?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Glad I could help

Customer:

Got it. Have a good weekend. And thanks again.

Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience: City and Guilds qualified plumber