Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

I have a 4 year old Franke (single-lever) Fuji Pullout sink

I have a 4 year old Franke (single-lever) Fuji Pullout sink tap that has started to drip on the hot water side. I have purchased a replacement cartridge but have so far been unable to get anywhere undoing the tap.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX : The link attached shows the exploded diagram, this shows how the tap goes together;
XXXXX XXXXX : http://pim-kitchensystems.franke.com/pim/images_lr/pdf/Fuji-Installation-Instructions.pdf
Customer:

Thank you but this is not like my Fuji tap (which was purchased 4 years ago and must be a previous version). The moveable part of the tap appears to be secured by a flange with no visible fixing such as a grub-screw or any moulding to enable it to be unscrewed (if indeed that is what is needed). There is a grub-screw in the side of the lever shaft that probably secures it to the cartridge, but removal of it only allows the shaft to slide inside the flange which remains firmly attached to the body of the tap. When I consulted the cartridge supplier (Central Services) I was advised that removal of the grub-screw in the shaft would allow everything to be withdrawn, exposing the cartridge. P.S. I can see from the exploded drawing you supplied that the later version is constructed in the same way as those with the cartridge in a vertical position. I only wish mine were!

XXXXX XXXXX : The picture shows no screw for the handle, does this not pull off on your model?
Customer:

No, it is trapped by the flange. My tap does not have a moulded lever like that in the picture. It is a hollow rod projecting from a hemisphere (trapped by the flange) into which another solid rod handle is screwed at right-angles. I think I have the model no. here which should enable you to trace the correct instructions. It is(NNN) NNN-NNNN988. It was ordered on-line from Franke on 29/11/10. Unfortunately no instruction sheet was provided.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.
Hi could you send a photo of the tap
Hi have seen the model . I can help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suggest the external cover is simply pushed into place, so should pull or lever off to expose the inner workings, I take it this part does not turn as part of the tap operation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. No, the cover does not turn as part of the tap operation. It is rock solid. I am afraid you are probably right that it needs to be pulled or levered off. This was my first conclusion but unfortunately I can see no way of applying either leverage or pull to it without causing damage. No wonder Franke changed the design! Following a 'suggestion' on You-tube I am currently attempting to introduce vinegar into the join in the hope of freeing it.

You could try a pair of grips with a rag around the tap, or one of the fancy rubber strap type spanners
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again. Have tried the grips and got a good purchase using a kitchen rubber cap-gripper. Applied as much force as I dared with my wife applying a balancing force to the spout but it won't move. Have decided to change the tap.

No problem.
Franke are very good, you may find that they replace it or give you a gesture because of this.
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience: City and Guilds qualified plumber
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much, very helpful I will take it up with Franke.