Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

November, 2009 I had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 Combi boiler

November, 2009 I had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 Combi boiler fitted. It was serviced every year and was fine until October, 2013. I had to turn the 2 taps to increase the pressure to 1.6. I checked that I had fully returned the taps to their original position but the pressure increased by about 0.1 every day without me doing anything. I reduced the pressure every evening by bleeding a radiator, then it went back to normal staying at 1.6 until February, this year. Then I had a new radiator fitted in my bathroom and it has started again. I am bleeding a radiator on a regular basis. My nephew is a Gas Safe engineer, who serviced the boiler has never come across this problem, nor has his boss who taught him.So need to know what will remedy the problem and approx. cost please.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.

Plumberpro : Hi . I will try to help
Firstly. If the gauge is increasing , whilst the boiler is not on , then water at pressure is entering the system some how. Is the filling method a filling loop or an integral filling valve?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apparently it is an integral filling valve. Sorry for delay in getting back to you, but I had no idea and had to ask my nephew who serviced the boiler

Hi. Could be the filling valve is letting by. . To confirm this , isolate the mains from the boiler if there is a valve to do this and see if this stops the pressure rising. Your nephew could put in a simple isolation valve just before the mains cold goes upto the boiler. If you did this at night would it be long enough to see a rise by morning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX too far away, so will have to find a local plumber, but will quote your reply. Finally, is it true that I'm doing harm to something I think was called an inhibiter that would have a bad effect on my radiators? You'll probably guess from that question that I don't have a clue about plumbing. Is there any other possibility for my problem?

If you could reply that would be great then I can finish.

Hi there. Inhibitor is a chemical (1litre) that can be bought from b and q or any plumbers merchant . It goes in the system to stop it slugging up and to stop rust . When you call the plumber just say you would like some put in the system and they will bring some with them . .plus tell them you need an integral filling valve for your model boiler.
Can I. Just advise not to get a plumber from small adds , yellow pages , or online etc. you will most likely get ripped off . Ask neighbours , friends , family for a recommendation, someone they are happy about using again .
All the bests
Could you please give a positive response of happy with the answers.
Hi . Would please be able to give a positive response if happy with your answer ,thank you