Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

My Aqualisa shower was installed in 2008 has never been really

My Aqualisa shower was installed in 2008 has never been really satisfactory. It usually works, but often it is too cold or too hot and goes cold if I try to adjust it. Sometimes I have to turn it off and on several times before I get hot water. Tonight it wouldn't even switch on at all. That is the first time that has happened. Just now I tried it and it was icy cold I never know what to expect when I get in my shower cubicle. I am really mystified about this, because I thought Aqualisa showers were good quality. I had a Dolphin shower for years that worked perfectly well and I thought I was getting an upgrade with Aqualisa. Is this a common problem?

I thought the answer was coming "ASAP". I am going to have to sign off in a moment and take this up again tomorrow.

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.

Plumberpro : Hi . I will try to help you .Are you able to talk now or do you want to continue later?
Plumberpro : When you are ready , just come back on chat .
Customer:

I am online now. Are you still there?

Customer:

I tried my Aqualisa this morning, but it won't switch on at all, even when the temperature is on the coldest setting.

Customer:

Hello? I will be near my computer for most of today, so I guess we will make a connection at some time or other.

Customer:

Will you email me when you are online again?

Plumberpro :

Hi. Is it an electric shower and do you know what model

Plumberpro :

Hello. I am trying to do this on my mobile and it is really tricky.can we cobtinue from arond 5.30 pm? Please

Customer:

Hello? Are you there?

Plumberpro :

Yes

Customer:

OK, 5:30. I will have about half an hour free then, but I will have to leave at about 6:00. It is an Aqualisa Quartz 8.5.

Customer:

But if you can talk now, that would be great.

Plumberpro :

Will try earlier than 5.30

Customer:

Not now??

Customer:

Well, I would be grateful for any help you can give me. As I say, this shower has been great part of the time but unreliable. I never know what temperature it is gong to be. The dial generally works, but not always.

Customer:

I tried to "save and exit" because it will be hours before we can continue the chat, but it thought I had finished and wanted a rating. There was no way to explain that we aren't finished. I just have to leave this window open?

Plumberpro : Hi . I m sorry for the delay ,
Plumberpro : ido you know the model of your shower?
Plumberpro : Hello . Are you able to talk now
Plumberpro : What you are describing is very unusual in that it has never worked satisfactorary . This May point to a problem with the installation. Aqualisa have a wide range of showers , so just need a little info on the model.
Customer:

Just when I was out of the house on an errand!

Customer:

It is an Aqualisa Quartz 8.5

Plumberpro : Hi . Has the shower been funny from time of installation?
Customer:

I managed to have a shower this afternoon when I found it was working, and it was perfect! But earlier in the day it wouldn't switch on at all. Every time I pressed the button it immediately went off.

Customer:

Yes, pretty much.

Customer:

At the time I had something exchanged--that was back in 2008.

Plumberpro : Do you know what your water pressure is like? On the mains ,
Customer:

I don't know how to check that

Customer:

but one funny thing I have noticed over the years

Customer:

is that it performs less well very late at night.

Plumberpro : Do you have an outside tap ?
Customer:

If I want to take a shower at midnight or even later, I have more of a problem with it running cold.

Customer:

I have sometimes wondered if that made a difference in the water pressure. No, no outside tap.

Plumberpro : At midnight , if you turn the temp knob round to hot does it get hotter?
Customer:

The water comes from a tank in the attic rather than the mains.

Customer:

What sometimes works is when the water runs cold (regardless of the temperature setting) I turn it quickly to almost the hot limit and then quickly back to less than the desired temperature, and then it is often about right!

Plumberpro : That is probably the problem . They are designed to run off the mains .
Customer:

I just found that by trial and error, but I can't think it is the right thing to have to do.

Customer:

Are the all designed to run off the mains?

Customer:

I thought some models were designed for an attic tank.

Customer:

My installer was an experienced plumber.

Customer:

I don't know why the time of day would make a difference to the water pressure.

Customer:

Is that logical, or would there be some other reason?

Plumberpro : Not all of them , but your one is . Give me a minute and I'll confirm it
Customer:

I don't have any further ID for the model, if there is one. Just Quartz 8.5.

Customer:

I used to have a Dolphin electric shower that worked perfectly. I thought this would be an upgrade, but I have often wished I had my old Dolphin back!

Customer:

Perhaps the difference was that it was a 7.5 and was meant to run off the tank.

Customer:

I am not sure it was a 7.5.

Plumberpro : Yours is designed to run off the mains , I can't understand why he did it off the tank . That is why it is 8.5 kW ,to heat the water quickly to give a hot shower. The solution should be simple enough
Customer:

If this one is meant to run off the mains, can you tell me what models I should look at that run off a tank in the attic?

Customer:

Is that the solution?

Customer:

What causes the pressure to fluctuate, if it is always coming from the tank and no other water is running?

Plumberpro : You have mains pipe in the loft to fill the tank . All that would need to be done is to route the mains into the tank feed outlet . The pipe work should all be there , easy to access.
Customer:

So if I show this conversation to a good plumber he should know what to do? He should understand the problem at once?

Plumberpro : Do you know if the pipe work is copper in the loft?
Customer:

I don't know for sure, but my shower was put in only a few years ago with new equipment. Would it be copper or plastic or...?

Plumberpro : Yes ,definitely . But ask for a recommendation for a plumber from friends , neighbours who have used more than once, if possible
Plumberpro : This should be an easy job. And hopefully you will have a properly working shower at the end of it.
Customer:

There was the original plumber, who seems to have made a mistake--ditto the plumbing shop where I bought the shower. I have a recommendation for a different plumber who has done several jobs for a friend of mine.

Plumberpro : Yes I would go for him . He will probably be amazed at what was done
Customer:

So it is a matter of routing the mains pipe to the shower? But does it also fill the tank?

Customer:

Actually, the recommended plumber is a woman!

Plumberpro : Yes . The tank feed to the shower would be capped off. Then the mains would be teed into and routed into the pipe that feeds the shower , which previously came from the tank. It won't affect the tank at all .
Customer:

Is this a better solution that getting a new, lower-power shower designed to run off the tank?

Customer:

OK, but what feeds the tank? I'm a little confused--and not a plumber!

Plumberpro : Yes. It will be cheaper as you already have the shower and if you ever have a problem with your hot water you will still have your electric shower
Customer:

You mentioned that the pipe would be "teed". Does this mean that it would be split and both fill the tank and feed the shower?

Plumberpro : Your mains water comes in off the street and goes to your kitchen sink tap and outside tap if you have one, and then upto your tank in the loft . This tank fills up the. Has two outlets . One to the cold taps in bathroom and wc . Then one outlet goes to hot water system (hot water cylinder ) and then onto hot taps.
Plumberpro : To your last question, yes
Customer:

OK, I think I understand everything now and will see about getting it put right. Thanks for your help. I will give you a "smiley face" on the rating.

Plumberpro : Thank you so much
Customer:

Do you know if there is a way to print off this conversation?

Plumberpro : I think you would have to try to copy it and. Paste it into something, I'm not too great with computers , sorry
Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** that.

Customer:

It worked!

Customer:

Again, thanks for all your help.

Customer:

Over and out.

Customer:

I am trying to click the smiley face, but it won't work because the Expert is not finished answering, it says.

Plumberpro : Ok . Bye
Customer:

Do you have to sign off in a certain way?

Plumberpro : Should be able to now , hopefully
Hi should be able to rate now