Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Problem with no room heating. I have a Boss Therm BUT (wired)

Problem with no room heating. I have a Boss Therm BUT (wired) controller with red indicator light steady on (currently at ON setting), linked to a Heatrae Sadia for Electric Heating only. Call indicator on Heatrae Sadia is steady green but Heat light above not registering green. Water pressure at 1.5. Honeywell Room Thermostat (wired) turned to ask for higher temp than room temperature.
Is there a battery to replace anywhere that could cause lack of heat?
Hot water boiler is a separate system.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** :

Let me confirm;

***** ***** :

Your heating is electric - underfloor or panels?

***** ***** :

Your heating works anytime - not controlled by economy 7 timers

***** ***** :

The water pressure is on the gauge on the hot water boiler

Customer:

there are pipes that run the full length of the single room they heat, with a grill on top.

***** ***** :

Ok - you have wet heating but just heated electrically?

Customer:

not controlled by economy 7 timers

Customer:

room is an outbuilding separate from main house central heating, but all off same meter

Customer:

presume heatrae sadia is heating water pumped around pipes. all electrical

***** ***** :

Lets check if it is the heater or the system - when you turn on the heating is the pump running?

Customer:

there is an external, small water (expansion tank) with a gauge showing 1 bar should be the minimum. I checked that the water is at 1.5bar when heating is not on (topped up to 1.5 bar from 1 bar last night). 3 bar is system max.

Customer:

cannot hear any pump, only call light on Heatrae Sadia lights up flashing then goes to constant green. However Heat light indicator above is not lighting green to show ?heat temperature?

Customer:

where would the pump be? what size typically?

Customer:

is it internal to Heatrae Sadia box?

***** ***** :

The pump should be near the boiler, usually in the airing cupboard - do you have the make and model of the heater and I will see if the pump is part of the boiler unit

***** ***** :

http://www.heatraesadia.com/electric_central_heating_boilers/

Customer:

just checked and saw the external pump unit Grundfos Super Selectric type UPS 15-60 130 P/N: 59526474

***** ***** :

Ok, can you feel it vibrating when the heating is supposed to be on - are you circulating cold water?

Customer:

water supply to top of pump is hot, water supply leaving pump only hand warm. Worryingly the pump is too hot to touch - so concerned for safety of this?

Customer:

no vibration of pump

***** ***** :

It will be fine if the system is full of water, but something is telling it to run

Customer:

have now turned heating off due to concern of pump overheat

***** ***** :

Can you take the screw out of the centre and tell me if the insides are spinning - you may need a tub to catch a trickle of water

Customer:

pump seems to be the problem point, as all other devices appear to be communicating

Customer:

do I need to isolate from mains in any way?

***** ***** :

If you take the screw out of the centre you may be able to give it a jump start

Customer:

how do you mean 'jump start'?

***** ***** :

with a small screwdriver inside the pump once you have undone the large screw in the centre

Customer:

do I need to turn pump off before attempting this?

***** ***** :

No, you want to give it a helping hand when it is trying to spin itself

Customer:

ok took large screw out and front late away

Customer:

plate

***** ***** :

Can you see inside? There should be a small slot inside that you can give the insides a spin with?

Customer:

hot water dripping out but no sign/sound of activity

***** ***** :

Can you give it a spin with a screwdriver?

***** ***** :

Clockwise

Customer:

difficult angle due to installation position, trying to see inside via phone video. what do i use to turn insides, i.e. safely!

***** ***** :

a small screwdriver

***** ***** :

flat blade

Customer:

there is only the small aperture where i removed the large screw, the rest of the pump housing is still in place with 4 external screws, presume that is the correct situation?

Customer:

tried inserting flat head screwdriver but cannot feel anything to get traction with difficult to see inside hole

***** ***** :

Ok, if you may be stuck if you cannot get access.

***** ***** :

Best to trun it all off so the pump is off and call someone to replace it.

***** ***** :

You should be able to get someone out today and as long as the valves on each side turn off then it should take no longer than an hour to swap

***** ***** :

It should cost you about £120

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

there is a valvue

Customer:

valve between Heatrae sadia and pump with what looks like a bleed valve, is this relevant at all?

***** ***** :

usually connected to each side of the pump with no handle on?

Customer:

looks like a TRV shape

***** ***** :

Full Size Image

Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience: City and Guilds qualified plumber