canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

Hi got a biasi compact he mk 2 m96a 28 sm/c which will not

Hi got a biasi compact he mk 2 m96a 28 sm/c which will not give central heating but hot water ok but if I hold in the reset button the central heating works
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you have the timer off does the heating work then?

canuck the pro :

What temperature setting do you have the water set to? Also what water temperature setting are you using for the heat?

Customer:

Hi the boiler will not fire for central heating unless the reset button is held in then it is fine

canuck the pro :

I see. Were you able to see my inquiries about the settings?

Customer:

Water temp is 60 degrees and heating on room stat is 25

canuck the pro :

What about the heating setting on the boiler? Will you see what that is set to? Also is your pressure in the proper range?

Customer:

When reset button is not depressed the boiler just clicks when you select heating and the green light below the square on the left hand side flashes

canuck the pro :

Is there not a setting for the heating temperature on the boiler? If you set the water temperature to 50 does the heat work properly then?

Customer:

Yes pressure correct boiler temp on clock 60 degrees

canuck the pro :

If you change the setting for the water temperature to under 55 does the heat work then?

Customer:

Dont know not there at moment how will this help?

canuck the pro :

I believe the water temperature has to be set at less than 55 for the heating to work. Will you be at that location soon?

Customer:

No not till tomorrow evening how do I change hot water setting is this the temp on the front of the boiler above the pressure

canuck the pro :

Yes it would be the control with the tap symbol. We will pick it up at that time then. Let me know how that comes along then. There are only 2 minutes left on the chat and I think we can use it wisely tomorrow evening. Chat with you then. Mike

Customer:

How do o contact you

canuck the pro :

This chat will still be here. Just open your account from any device and open the question again. You can respond even if I am offline and I will get the message when I log back in.

canuck the pro :

I have a feeling all will be well once the settings are proper.

Customer:

Can't rate you yet until I have tried what you sugested which will not be till tomorrow evening many thanks

canuck the pro :

No problem with that at all.

Customer:

Hi mike reduced temperature on heating and hot water and has had no effect still have to have reset button on clock pushed in for heating to work

canuck the pro :

What did you change the settings to?

canuck the pro :

Does the heating work with the timer off?

Customer:

55 degrees on the dial on front of boiler

Customer:

No heating does not work if the reset button is unpressed

Customer:

Makes no difference if the timer is set or not

canuck the pro :

Will you check the connection to boiler control block in control panel and reset boiler? If the light flashes again will you count the flashes and tell me which light it is also if any lights are on solid? Also colour is important.

Customer:

Not there again at the moment but the light that flashes is the furthest to the left on the control panel and it flashes green and once per second

Customer:

No lights are on solid

Customer:

Could it be a temperature sensor on the heating if so where is it?

canuck the pro :

Not at all sure yet. Does it flash every second or every 4 seconds? What about the wall thermostat? What is the wall thermostat setting?

Customer:

It flashes every second and room stat is set on 25 degrees

canuck the pro :

Well the issue is that the overheat stat is faulty and needing to be replaced. The overheat stat is tripping before there is an overheating situation and resetting is temporarily removing the fault.

Customer:

Where is the overheat stat situated in the boiler and is it easy to change

canuck the pro :

I would recommend having a technician replace it. Some things are DIY projects when it comes to working on these boilers but there are several things that would require a professional when replacing this part. It is easy for a technician but not so easy for a non-tech.

Customer:

I want to know where it is so I can test it to make sure that it is faulty before I have it replaced

canuck the pro :

Do you have the manual with the parts breakdown in the back?

canuck the pro :

Attachment: 2014-09-25_210611_biasi_service_manual.pdf

Full Size Image
On page 19 if this service manual they are calling it safety thermostat.

Customer:

that is on the primary heat exchange pipework on the left hand side of the boiler is it possible to bypass this sensor in order to make sure that it is what is wrong with the boiler

Customer:

I mean on the right !

canuck the pro :

You can test it with a multimeter for continuity when the unit is cooled.

Customer:

Thats great will do tomorrow thanks very much for the advice

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome.