Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

My daughters neighbour has, I believe, a really old Potterton

My daughters neighbour has, I believe, a really old Potterton boiler which vents onto my daughters property through the adjoining properties side extension wall, my daughter wants to build an extension in front of the balanced flue, leaving an 8" gap between the buildings, could we fit a right angled flue to discharge at the rear wall of the extension which is a distance of about 3' 0" from the existing flue outlet.
Any helpfull advice would be aappreciated.
Jeff at *****@******.***
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi. This would make the boiler illegal , is against the gas regulations as it needs 600 mm between the flue and your daughters wall .theses old potterton oilers have no way of extending their flues as the design doesn't allow for multiple bends..

Customer:

Hi Plumberpro.

Customer:

Thanks for your quick response, I will rate it excellent, but just one more thing, bearing in mind its a Potterton, but it is aged, would it be possible to fit a sideways flue from the boiler internally to discharge through the back wall rather than the side wall as it is at present, (the boiler is mounted on the side wall, my daughters extension side wall is parallel with the side wall of the neighbours wall) or is there a risk when working on such an old boiler, thank you......