Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have removed the toilet cistern to replace a broken syphon.

I have removed the toilet cistern to replace a broken syphon. At the same time I replaced the doughnut but this now makes the cistern sit higher than before and the cistern is out of line with the wall fittings. I have tried adding weight to lower the cistern and checked that the doughnut is not overhanging the toilet base but I am still a few mms away. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Thank you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . you can get different types of doughnut washer. Some lay flatter than others.

Plumberpro :

When you say out of line with the wall fittings , do you mean the screw holes?

Plumberpro :

If you do then these could be redrilled . I am out for a couple of hours , not back till 4pm , sorry

Plumberpro :

Oh , if you are there then we can chat

Customer:

Thanks for your reply. I have checked 2 types of doughnuts but there was little difference in depth. I least I know that I should continue searching. rwill chehave looked a

Plumberpro :

I think the flatter one comes with ideal toilets .with a hexagon shape in the middle. Was the one you got the same as the one you took out?

Plumberpro :

Full Size Image

Plumberpro :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flat-Foam-Doughnut-Seal-Washer-WC-Toilet-Cistern-124mm-Donut-/251389159322?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3a87f6279a

Plumberpro :

Have to go out for an hour or so ,

Customer:

I did mean screw holes but I do not feel qualified to drill into tiles. I only started to repair the toilet because the plumber had let me down twice and I was trying to have a toilet available for a house full of guests. it didn't work though!

Customer:

Thanks for the reference, I will order the flatter doughnut from ebay.