Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

Hi. For the last few months now, we can hear a constant humming

Hi. For the last few months now, we can hear a constant humming noise, not very loud but varying in pitch every so often in our water pipes. We have not done any recent work and we have lived in this house for many years. The noise can really be annoying especially in rooms where pipes are. When we run water, like have a shower, an extremely high pitch noise also appears but ends when water stops running. The 2 could be completely unrelated but I thought it was important to mention it. Any ideas?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi, do you have cold water storage tank and hot water cylinder or a combi?

Customer:

We have a cold water tank in the loft which feeds in a hot water cylinder on our upstairs landing.

Customer:

When the stopcock is closed and no water enters the premises, we can still hear the noise.

Plumberpro :

Hi, i am pretty sure it will be either the ballvalve in the cold water tank, scaled up and will need replacing, this may bypass the stopcock and have its own.check this by

Customer:

The end of your second sentence does not seem to have got through.

Plumberpro :

Turning off stopcock, running bath and see if the cold tank is still filling, also listen for tge noise when tap turned off and tank ballvalve closes

Customer:

The tank is not filling when the stopcock is off. It actually is a direct feed from the stopcock to the ballvalve. The noise is still there when tap is turned off and tank ballvalve closed. It is worth adding we are on a shared underground supply with a neighbouring property.

Plumberpro :

Ok.do you mind if I get back to you in a couple of hours.im on a job and my phone is terrible for this, thanks

Customer:

No problem

Plumberpro :

Hi, then it could be the stopcock itself,as sometimes the washer comes loose and makes noise as thecwater goes through

Customer:

Thank you. I guess we'll now need to find a way of checking that out. Thank you for your advice.

Plumberpro :

Your welcome