Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

i have installed a thermastat mixer bar for the shower but

Customer Question

i have installed a thermastat mixer bar for the shower but i carnt get the water to stay at an even temreture its nice and warm then it changes to stone cold then warm again can you tell me how to set it up its worked off the gas boiler
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi are the both and colkds the bright way round .hot on left and cold on the right?

Customer:

Sorry , I meant is the hot pipe work to the left of the valve and the cold to the right as you face the mixer?

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

yes its left for hot and right for cold

Customer:

Hi. Are all the other taps ok ? If you run hot with the bath tap do you get temperature fluctuation?

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

they seem to be its just there is no happy medium it (the shower) fluctuates all the time

Customer:

This shouldn't happen with a thermostatic shower mixer as they maintain an even temperature. .do byou have a Combi boiler , are you using a shower pump?

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

no shower pump and the boiler is just a general type water heater for the rads and bath etc

Customer:

Ok . so your cold water tank is in the loft above the bathroom ?

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

no its a down staires flat in a three storey building and the boiler is on a direct feed from outside

Customer:

Ok . I'm just wondering if our hoit and cold water pressure is too low to operate the mixer valve properly as they normally work off higher pressures. Do you know if you hot water pressure is different to the cold ? Do the birth run off the same cold water storage tank?

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

when i just run the hot water thru the shower there is plenty of pressure there it looks very invigorating and then when i introduce the cold water it puts the pressure up so i would say the two have the same amount of pressure it just seem that the thermostat isnt working properly

Customer:

Ok . do you have a mixer or separate taps on your basin?

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

seperate taps

Customer:

Its just that if you don't mind I'd like you to do a test on the water pressure of the hot and cold. I believe you have mains pressure on either the hot or cold and lower tank fed pressure on the other . this would cause your situation

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

im sorry toby but the shower i put in is in my daughters house 15 mile away and she is at work so i dont have access

Customer:

That's OK . when you go or she could do it , is put her thumb/hand over the hot tap and then turn on . if the water can be held back easily then it is low pressure tank fed water . if it forces out and is extremely hard to hold back it is via the mains. Then do the same to the other tap. I think you will find ( not leaving out a possible faulty shower mixer valve ) that your daughter will have mixed pressure,low and high which will cause this problem

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

ok toby ill give it a try

Customer:

Ok

JACUSTOMER-6si0yb6s- :

but when ive thought about it ive never known hot water presure be as strong as cold water the cold is always much stronger

Customer:

Ok , that could be the problem then . if its mains pressure to the shower and low pressure hot , it will cause this . it can be fixed but would need a new tank feed to cold shower pipe , all the best with it , come back to me if you need further advice

Customer:

Hi would you mind rating me , thanks