canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

I have an sani-flo type toilet and have just had a repair to

I have an sani-flo type toilet and have just had a repair to the syphon but I also have a sound like turning a tap on and off at times through the day. ~This sounds like it comes on next to this toilet. I know this is using water and would like to know what you think about this
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you look inside the tank, is the water filled all the way up to the fill tube? Is the water filling past it and slowly trickling? If not will you make a mark inside the tank with a pencil for where the water is and see if the water is dropping?

Customer:

I am an 84 year old woman and find it difficult. However I have been up to the toilet and find that the tank is only half or just over full. Could not see level mark.

canuck the pro :

I have to run out for an emergency call. I should be back in about an hour. So sorry!

canuck the pro :

I am so sorry I had to run out like that. A customer had a burst water line and I could get there before my crew could. I turned the water off and my crew is on site. I usually do not do that but it really was an emergency. My crew will get a bit soggy to start their week!

canuck the pro :

I will be running out to do a quote in about 1 & 1/2 hours but I will be online until then if you would like to continue to chat about your toilet issue.

Customer:

I sent you an answer to your question re water levels

canuck the pro :

If you put a pencil mark where the water level is now does the water drop below that or does it stay stable?

Customer:

I think that I will have to go and take a torch to try and see the water level. It is difficult for me

canuck the pro :

Take your time. Thank you also for being patient with me earlier. I usually do not just take off like that.

Customer:

Level doesn't seem to move, but after I had been marking the box it made its usual bubbling sound and when I am using the toilet

canuck the pro :

Do you see an overflow tube in the middle?

canuck the pro :

With a hose going into it?

Customer:

Dosent seem to move but after I had been inside the box it made its usual bubbling, also when I am using the toilet it gives a brrr ing sound

canuck the pro :

Does the inside look similar to this?

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

You can click on the image to make it larger

Customer:

The tube is there that is connected to the syphon which I have just had a new one put in. Answer to your question yes the inside is similar to that but there is the syphon on top of the middle bit

canuck the pro :

Is the tube clipped to the top of the other tube or is it inside the other tube?

Customer:

will have to go and look

canuck the pro :

If you have a digital camera maybe it will be easier for you to take a picture of it and either send it to me here or look at it while the questions keep coming. I hate to send you back and forth from the computer to the toilet.

canuck the pro :

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

Here is a picture with the items labeled. That way I can refer to items and you will be able to refer to this.

Customer:

Good job I have a stairlift in. It has a piece of plastic on top with xrosses at the top underneath is a tube which is the emptying tube which ocurrs when you press the knob. after that I cant see.

Customer:

All those labels seem to be their but it is an entirely different set up

canuck the pro :

I see. It does have the fill tube and overflow tube like pictured?

Customer:

More like the previous picture with blue items and all I know ,underneath the part with crosses is a tube which presses down when you press the emptying knob

Customer:

Can these things perish? I don't know how old this toilet is I have only lived in this house 3.1/2 years

canuck the pro :

On the first picture there is still a fill tube (black tube) and an overflow tube (white). The same as the second picture but the fill tube is connected a little different. So mostly where I am going with this is that sometimes installers do not clip the fill tube to the overflow tube or there is a circle holder thing that goes on top of the overflow tube and they put too much of the fill tube into the overflow tube. (response to what you just posted while I was typing- no the toilets do not wear out. They are totally repairable but components do wear out or installer error. Sometimes they break also. If you find yourself sitting down really hard it may break the tank)

canuck the pro :

Does the noise only happen when you sit on it initially?

Customer:

no but when I put 'water'! in it does it

canuck the pro :

Does the fill tube go down into the overflow tube or is it just at the rim?

Customer:

have to go look again

canuck the pro :

Alright. No camera to take a picture? I have to run and do a quote. I will be about an hour, ok?

canuck the pro :

If the fill tube is going into the fill tube and the end is lower than the water in the tank then what is happening is it is siphoning out and that is why there is a noise. The new apparatus that was installed should have a clip to avoid this happening so that the fill tube would be directed to the overflow tube but not be below the tank water and then it would not siphon. If it is in the circle thing then you may just have to pull the hose out a little bit so the end is not below the tank water or even take the tube out and cut a little bit off with scissors. This is not the end of the conversation but if you review this text and compare to what you have we can pick it up in about an hour. Maybe even take a picture with a phone or camera so that you won't have to keep headed back and forth.

Customer:

Have taken some photos but it is in an ordinary camera and I don't know how to e mail them. There is a square box left hand side, a round structure in the middle and that holds the syphon tube which sits inside,. then in the middle on top is this plastic oblong component with a holder which holds the syphoning tube which when pressed sets the tube concerteenering and empties the toilet

canuck the pro :

Are you able to attach the pictures to the chat? You would download them onto your computer and use the paper clip icon to attach.

Customer:

cannot find submit. Cannock has been as expert as he could be.

canuck the pro :

I had the rating not activated since I did not feel we were finished. Still want to see what we can do together?