Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

Good Morning I have a power shower fitted and the pump is

Customer Question

Good Morning
I have a power shower fitted and the pump is now 7 years old. When it was fitted I would get good pressure to my Thermostatic shower, however, now the pressure is intermittent. I have a boiler in the garage, hot water storage tank in the airing cupboard, and water tank in the loft. I have had plumbers around and none offered a solution to my low pressure. Apart from replacing my very old Baxi boiler!
Can you help?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi.where aouts is your shower pump located?

Customer:

Also is your shower on the ground floor, or first/second ? Floor

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

HiCustomer/p>

Customer:

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

My shower pump is located above the hot water tank in the loft, but underneath the Cold water feed tank in the loft. The Boiler is in the garage on the ground floor, and the Hot water tank is on the first floor in the airing cupboard. Sometimes the shower pushes spitting water as if it is collecting air somewhere and the pump changes to a higher frequency when it does this.

Customer:

Did you get my questions?

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

Just answered them my good man!

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

My Baxi Boiler is probably about 20 years old and is only 50% rated efficient. I have problems with the central heating as well so thought I could sort the lot out in one go.

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

I have considered the following: 1. Fit a combi boiler (but afraid of the loss of water pressure). 2. Fit a new boiler and a new shower pump to see if this helps water pressure and is cheaper to run. 3. Fit a New Boiler and an Unvented Hot Water Tank, removing the pump and hope this gives me better water pressure and reduces the cost of runing.

Customer:

Hi . it could be that your pumpnis to on powerful for the size of your tank. This may be draining the cold water tank too quickly and allowing air to be sucked in through the outlet . if its the same pump that used tonbwork fine then the ball valve that fills the tank may have become scaled band notnfilling as quickly as it fused to . one thing to do is run the shower as you would and as it is running look in the tank to see if it is filling fast enough to replace the water being used

Customer:

It will be nothing to do with your boiler as its not a Combi and not heating the water directly

Customer:

Sorry to the appealing spelling . my tablet PC has a mind of its own .

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

Ah Ha! I see what you mean. I can do that this evening no problem.

Customer:

Did you manage to understand what I wrote or shall I redo it?

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

Ha ha! No worries with the spelling. I understood very clearly!

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

How long does a shower pump usually last? I bought it new from B & Q 7 years ago. I believe we live in a hard water area.

Customer:

Ok . try that . but if youb want advice on a new system then I can help you with that

Customer:

Pump normally last around 10 years maybe more if running right. But the tank filing needs to be sorted first .

Customer:

If you check that tonightvand then we can talk then if you like

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

I could do with advice on a new system as well. Of the 3 options I mentioned above, which is the most cost efficient and reliable option? It is worth me mentioning my rads are all on microbore piping. I chemical flushed the system twice last year to clear all the crud out, and then put in an anti corrosion chemical to prevent the same build up of muck in the system.

Customer:

Well .I have micobore as well . ive never fitted it and it always amazes me how well it works.combos are ok , but you can only have one or two, depending on size of Combi taps/ shower going at the Same time as the flow rate is limited .if you have more than one bathroom then the best option us an invented cylinder as you have mains pressure hotvand cold . but with that system you need to test the flow rate and pressure of the incoming mains supply as you need at least 3 bar and a flow rate of 22 litres per minute. If you only have one bathroom then a Combi isntva bad choice.

Customer:

Fittingva combi or the invented you could keep h

Customer:

The existing radiator and pipe system if its all working ok

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

The Microbore piping is now working fine

Customer:

Well you may find that your system is ok and the ball valve just needed replacing

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

My wife has just called to say that she was washing her hair and the pump in the loft was whistling!

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

I will check the valve on the cold water tank this evening and see if it is filling fast enough. Would you mind if I kept this chat open and respond tomorrow morning after I have checked to see what is happening with the ball valve in the loft?

Customer:

Well , it could be the ball valve that is whistling if restricted as the sound can travel .

Customer:

Ok

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

Many Thanks for all your help. It all made complete sense to me. I will chat again tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

Top Man

Customer:

Ok , thanks

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

MorningCustomer I have 3 tanks in the loft. 1 x small one for to top up the central heating system, and 2 larger ones (connected) with 1 ball cock to fill both. With the power shower on and the pump running they ran for about 5 mins and dropped about 5cm of water and had at least another 30cm to go. The pump started to make its higher pitch tone and the pressure dropped in the shower. Pump is a New Team Varispeed 50. When I checked the pump, the plastic screw connections were all loose! I tightened them all up and I appear to now have my pressure back.

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

As an added note, I only have 12.7 l/min flow rate to my house, so my top tanks take some time to fill. Is there anyway I can increase this? Many Thanks for your help.

Customer:

Your welcome. You can increase pressure with a mains booster pump set , basically a cold water storage tank with a pump .

Customer:

Paste this into your browser v. This is one type

Customer:

http://www.onlinepumpsupplies.com/grundfos-3-0-bar-home-booster-240v

Customer:

You might have an old lead mains supply . you can get a better flow rate by getting the mains supply upgrade to a bigger size in plastic blue poly pipe .

Customer:

Hi ,please don't forget to rate me before the question times out. We can continue talking afterwards

JACUSTOMER-fgv4xxfx- :

Much appreciated. Very helpful and I thanks for all your honest and practical advice!

Customer:

Your welcome

Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Plumber pro. I went into the loft and switched on the shower. My tank did empty faster than the water pelagic it. HOWEVER......th water pressure from the pump dropped before all the water in the tank had depleted. It drops after 2 mins and there was at least 80% of the tank in the lift still full.

What can I look at now?

Him. Will be back to you in ten mins if that's ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes of course my good man. Not a problem at all.

Hi . I am afraid that it is probably time for a new pump .try to get the same bar pressure rating as the old one. Best pumps are Stuart turner monsoons , but any Stuart turner is good .
Regards,
Toby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many Thanks for that. I have had 7 years out of this New Team 50 pump so I am happy to buy a new one. We do live in a hard water area so it is probably all limescaled up.

Thanks again for all your help.

7 years isn't too bad if used every day