Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

halstead ace high DHW heats slowly when ch is off as there

halstead ace high DHW heats slowly when ch is off as there is an apparent leaking of some heat to the ch system. Diverter valve was completely replaced recently as it was leaking at the diaphragm end. How to identify why valve is not closing properly and then how to rectify?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi. How you would identify it is letting by is by heat going to rads. You may have to replace the whole diverter valve and not just the diaphragm . the diaphragm only operates the hotcwaterv micro switch and does shift the water from hot water circuit to heating circuit

Plumberpro :

Sorry I meant doesn't shift

Customer:

As I indicated the WHOLE diverter valve has been replaced not just the diaphragm

Plumberpro :

Ok . are both micro switches working on hotvwater only and heating only?

Customer:

Yes

Plumberpro :

I wonder if you had been given a faulty diverter ,.was it new or reconditioned?

Customer:

New

Plumberpro :

Its strange. I wonder if the domestic hot water heat exchanger has developed a hole and it is passing that way . maybe the ace has a bypass . what model acecis it . I'll check the manual to see if it has ?

Customer:

It is an ace high

Plumberpro :

Sorry , my typing is bad , what model ace do you have? 24, 28 or 35 kW?

Customer:

35 kw

Plumberpro :

Ok . ivevgot it

Plumberpro :

Just give me a few mins , thanks

Plumberpro :

Hi . can't see a bypass on the boiler. The only place hot water could be crossing is the diverter or the domestic heat exchanger. You could test the heat exchanger by removing bit and for cing water down the hot water ways and seeing if it comes out the heating water way. If it doesn't then it can only be the diverter. One other thing to check is to turn off heating isolating valves and run the hot water . this may force the diverter into the correct position.

Customer:

Have tried hot water only but there is still some heating in the ch system. There is a bypass within the boiler but I didn't think this would affect the situation. Is there a valve that could be sticking on the bypass?

Plumberpro :

On other thing it could be . if the domestic heat exchanger is blocked on the hot water route, then the mains running through might not have enough pressure to fully open the diverter to hotvwater only. Do you think the hoit water pressure from taps has dropped ?

Customer:

No

Plumberpro :

With the boiler cover off can you feel the temperature of the pipework/ bypass / diverter / heat ex and try to get an idea of where the heat is moving?

Customer:

I haven't tried that but as the boiler is heating CH at the moment I would require to wait till it has cooled down before being able to try this.The DHW heats OK when moving from CH to DHW so I assume Heat exchanger is OK.

Plumberpro :

Yes , it really looks like the diverter. But if you want to wait till Monday I can phone Halstead and see if they have anything else

Customer:

Thanks. I don't mind waiting. How do we get in Touch on Monday?

Plumberpro :

Just come back on here and we can carry on

Plumberpro :

If I get back to you , you will get an email

Customer:

That's fine. I'll check pipes for heat in the meantime. Sorry to have taken so much of your time!

Plumberpro :

No probs

Plumberpro :

Hi . been on the phone .Halstead went under 5 years ago and were bought out by duplex, . the technical line is an 09 number , 80 pence per minute con job number. 09052780099. I can't call it but give it a try if you want , they probably won't ask for a g sf number. Sorry , but I honestly think it must be the diverter . I understand if you don't vwant to rate me . if you don't rate you wont pay , all the best

Plumberpro :

Just had another look at the manual . there is no bypass so the only place the heat can cross is still diverter or the d heat exchanger. ,