Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have an oil boiler running central heating and a coal fire

I have an oil boiler running central heating and a coal fire with back boiler joined to main system with a neutraliser. Since getting another radiator installed, my heating refuses to work - pump packed in, system was flushed out, neutraliser removed and cleaned and new pump put in. the heating worked for about 2 days and then - nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . either a major blockage or air in the system that caused the pump to run dry and burn out . if the only change was a drain down and new rad fitted then it has to be an airlock. Look for manual air release valves at all high points. You might have to add a couple. Check the new and old pipework for natural air traps , ie a loop or drop going down or up.. If all else fails

Plumberpro :

Cap off vent and feed and fill via the mains/ or change to a pressurised system

Customer:

thanks. This problem is taking forever to fix. also very worryingly my coal fire which should heat water / heaters is not doing anything now - what on earth... - and is it safe???

Plumberpro :

I think you shouldnt use the fire till its sorted as it may boiler dry and crack. I recently had to change most of the pipe work on a back boiler . completely scaled up in areas from the time when it was gravity and not pumped