Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have a Potterton Suprema 30-80 fan assisted balanced flue

I have a Potterton Suprema 30-80 fan assisted balanced flue boiler. It drives a pressurised central heating system and a hot domestic water storage tank. The system is controlled by a remote British gas 'RC Plus' remote programmable room thermostat. The hot water tank has a surface mounted thermostat and the hot water supply from the boiler to the central heating/storage tank is controlled by a flow-share valve.
The central heating radiators consist of a large twin radiator in the open plan (stairs to bedrooms are in this room) lounge. A smaller radiator in the hall. A radiator in each of the two bedrooms and a heated towel radiator/rail in the bathroom. The original system was fitted by British Gas but has recently been modified to include a pressurised system and a magnet filter system (Installed after the system was flushed.)
Before, and since the modifications the boiler has, on occasions tripped out and required resting (after which it works for a while ). However if this happens when the property is vacant, or during the night, the central heating pump continues to run.
I have a service contract with British Gas. What should they be doing to solve the problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . check they have fitted a sealed system kit in the boiler, if the heating is now pressurised .

Customer:

I can do that but, as I said, the problem existed before the pressurised system was fitted?

Plumberpro :

Hi , was the PCB ever replaced?

Customer:

Yes, very early on when the boiler was first fitted.

Plumberpro :

It may be that PCB wasn't changed to the new one. It took ages for potterton to admit a manufacturing fault with them . they get hot and crack a circuit track. The new ones have a bit of protection from heat as the board sits against the boiler.

Plumberpro :

.

Customer:

OK Will ask for those to be checked. The Manual talks about "intermittent Lockout" and lists possible causes. One references " ... if APS fails to operate .." So, last question/s: what is APS and is intermittent lockout what I'm experiencing??

Plumberpro :

That's the air pressure switch. The fan has to be running for the boiler to work safely. The APS senses the fan is running. If they APS goes faulty the boiler will lock out . cheap and easy to fit

Plumberpro :

.