Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have been trying to switch the water off outside the house.

I have been trying to switch the water off outside the house. Located the toby and have the key.Trouble is I can't get it to turn and if I did,is it a half turn clockwise? Thinking of getting a couple of pieces of pipe for the handle to act as leverage. any suggestions as to what else to do and is clockwise the right direction?
James Kean
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi , clockwise is the right direction. Just be careful , because some of the outside stopcocks are so old now that the handles snap when they are turned . the water board will come out and turn it off for you if you get stuck . two months ago one snapped on me when water was off. The water board have a special tool to deal with this. A piece of wood with a v cut out works as well . it goes over the handle and turns it . you can use a cross member piece of wood for leverage.

Plumberpro :

The other thing is to buy a stopcock tool , for about 20 pounds