Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I need advice on what direct cylinder to have fitted and what

I need advice on what direct cylinder to have fitted and what to look for in plumbing company.
I have a Santon direct unvented hot water cyclinder (TP180E). Its split and I need a new one. I have been calling around plumbers but I am getting confused with the ins and outs and I need impartial advice.
I have a 2 bed flat with economy 7 heating. It's a bad area for limescale so I would also like a filter of some sort.
I have been looking at suppliers websites but there is not any information on power consumption or anything that would help me determine what a good purchase is. I want to get the cheapest price possible without getting a lemon.
Also what accreditation should I look for in a fitter? What questions should I ask them to make sure they are not a monkey? How much should I expect to pay?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . the best are heatrae sadia megaflo invented cylinders. They are a bit more expensive than others but have a very long warranty..

Plumberpro :

The plumber should be qualified to fit unvented. There is a course to do as there are various safety issues. They should have a card to say they a qualified. What area are you in , I may be able to recommend someone.

Customer:

Why is that the best for me to buy and what card is it?

Plumberpro :

Hi .it should say on the back of their gas safe card or may be a seperate accredited card with unvented cylinders stated. Lots of different colleges run the course.usually city and guilds but others run it too .

Plumberpro :

The megaflo cylinders are preferred by installers. They are tried and tested , have a great reputation .it also has a lifetime guarantee

Plumberpro :

You will need a 145dd or 170idd

Plumberpro :

Hi . do you need any more advice? If not would you mind rating me please , thanks

Customer:

Looks like that's about £800. What does it do better than a cheap £400 one? Does it use less electricity or have higher water pressure?

Customer:

Only difference I can see if megaflow says it doesnt have annodes

Customer:

not sure what that does

Customer:

this one is £390 - http://www.ariston.com/uk/Hot_Water_Storage_Cylinders/Classico_HE_Unvented_Cylinder

Customer:

its a lot of money for me, just want to be sure before i spend

Customer:

is there a next best to megaflow that is still good but a bit cheaper?

Plumberpro :

The Ariston is fine , just don't vexpect it to last as long . should last a long time , so if that's your budget , I would get it . in thee end its all down to steel thickness and quality of welds.

Plumberpro :

The anodes protect the cylinder from corroding , and should be inspected and changed if needed during annual service

Plumberpro :

I wouldn't buy anything that uses anodes though . look at Telford , they are cheap and have a good reputation

Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience