Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I am looking new apartment to rent and found a nice

Customer Question

I am looking for a new apartment to rent and found a nice room in a 5 bedroom shared accomodation townhouse. The room I like is on the top level and its basically the attic room, however there is a hot water storage tank (mega flow) in one of the cupboards. When seeing this I wondered if this is safe or not. Im also concenred that its run by gas and that it would be noisy. I would never want to run the risk of sleeping in a room if the unit is being run by gas due to a potential leak. When asking the landlord and voicing my concerns, this is what he said: "It is only a hot water storage tank in your bedroom, the actual gas boiler is in the downstairs living room. I have never had any complaints about the tank being noisy in the past" I get the impression he may be saying anything in order to fill that room. Also my understanding is, if there is a gas boiler anyway, why would you need a hot water storage tank then? Could someone please explain how this works and let me know if this is safe or not to be sleeping in a bedroom with a ""mega flow"

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . he's right , it is a Hot water tank only and is heated by a separate gas boiler . the pipes around it are water pipes. If the central heating pump is in that cupboard it may make a small bit of noise. But not loud enough to bother you I shouldn't think. Being at the top, if there is a leak it will all go downstairs and not effect you which is a plus. The reason for a hot water tank is that it can supply multiple bathrooms, whereas a combi boiler can only supply one/ two Max.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would it be dangerous in anyway to have a water tank in a bedroom though? could it blow up? and by the setup I have described, there is definitely no gas in the bedroom like he said?

There is definitely no gas. with unented hot water cylinders they do have to be installed professionally . if not there is a risk of explosion .but this doesn't really happen now as the megaflows are supplied with all the safety valves now for the installer to fit. Could you send me a bunch of photos of the tank and fittings or a video? But in 20 years I have not seen one fitted dangerously. The explosion would be steam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I unfortunately didn't take any photos and wouldn't be able to access the flat easily again without arranging another viewing. By then the room will probably be taken.

Is there any chance that the mega flow could possibly make some loud noises? Or they really generally quite.

I really wouldn't worry about it . if was installed wrong it would have been an issue within the first day. And its probably been in there for a while. If you like the place I wouldn't let it put you off as at least there is no gas boiler to worry about
Hi , if happy with your answer coulkdyou please rate it , thanks