Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I live in a hard water area and use an Aga to heat the domestic

Customer Question

I live in a hard water area and use an Aga to heat the domestic hot water cylinder via an indirect, gravity system (year-round). I had to replace 2 cylinders in 4.5 years as, in both cases, the cylinder (indirect) coils broke-down due to excessive lime-scale build-up. I do not want to install a water-softener. Would a stainless steel cylinder (and coil) be more resistant to lime-scale corrosion than the traditional copper ? Cylinder manufacturers have not been helpful!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi , I think your lime scale build up would have been due to overheating within the pipe work and nothing to do with hard water. You need to get a decent engineer to work out some kind of temperature control on your cylinder pipe work to stop excessive temperatures running through . scale forms at 65 degrees centregrade, so you either need to the aga stat below this or incorporate a thermostat controlled valve on the cylinder could work with a bypass.
Hi , if the scale is in the heating pipes then a solution of inhibitor will stop scale . if its in the cylinder itself , then stopping the hot water getting above 65 has to be resolved
But , yes stainless steel offers better protection from scale. Go for heatrai sadia or glenhill.
Sorry , meant gledhill , not glenhill. All the best. Heatrae stadia offer the best warranty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've looked at the HeatraeSadia and Gledhill sites and, so far as I can see, the vented Megalife HE, Stainless Lite Vented and Envirofoam Stainless Vented all require pumped circuits and are unsuitable for gravity systems.

Hi , I have found one suitable for your system . it is made by gledhill and is called stainless lite triple coil, which has 3 coiks , onevof whichcan be used for gravity systems http://www.gledhill.net/page/107/Stainless-Lite-Triple-Coil.htm Copy and paste this into your browser

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. Your suggestion would have been perfect, except that the triple coil model is 2M in height and I only have 1.8M max height availability ! All the other Gledhill vented, indirect SS cylinders need a pumped circuit. You don't know of a slightly smaller alternative to the Gledhill IND300-STC do you ?

I will have a look but I have a suggestion. These cylinders are sometimes more expensive than a boiler . what a bout fitting a combi boiler in the cylinder cupboard or loft if there is space and an external wall ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Combi not suitable - V large (listed) property (this hot water supply problem applies to one wing only !). No mains gas - in rural wilds !

Have found a Joule Cyclone triple coil with appropriate dimensions but cannot find a UK stockist. Have you experience with this (Irish) manufacturer?

Alternatively, Newark Cylinders do build to customer requirements, but their expertise has always been in copper not SS - your experience ?

Oil combi? Or solar plus heat pump? Haven't heard of joule , but if the warranty is long , ie , 20 years then why not.same with Newark .
The copper ones for gravity normally have a bigger coil, 28mm( I wonder if yours was a smaller coil, so if they can make one to your requirements then I think that would be ok.
Have a look at this page though . these are cylinders made for Aga's. Copy and paste into your browser and scroll down a little
http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/AGA%20hot%20water%20cylinders.htm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have now received a satisfactory quote from Newark for a bespoke indirect vented Duplex cylinder with large bore gravity coil in 316 marine grade stainless steel. That should solve the problem.

That's great ,all the best with it, Kind Regards

Toby