Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

I'm hoping I can get some expert guidance here. We have

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some expert guidance here. We have an upstairs bathroom that was redone a couple of years ago. The toilet was originally on the left hand side wall with the soil pipe running down the same wall on the outside. When this was re-designed a bath was fitted in its place and the toilet was moved to the end of the bath (Just short of 2 meters across). Our plumber advised to raise the bath to provide enough fall on the soil pipe which had to be ran underneath/behind the bath.
Our problem is that quite often the bathroom will begin to stink, and sometimes the toilet will block. After a bit of encouragement and several flushes I can unblock this, and the smell will subside. I can often hear the blockage clear, I suspect most likely as it reaches the end of the horizontal/slightly angled section of the pipe and hits the vertical drop.
I suspect that the fall added simply isn't enough, but I really don't want to rip out the bath, nor raise it higher. There is a small section of soil pipe visible from the end of the bath and the toilet, I'm wondering is there any kind do of macerator or pump that could be easily retrofitted to help with this?
Any help is hugely appreciated, thanks in advance!
Alastair
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Where the toilet is sat now, can the pipe exit straight through the wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is a nice idea but unfortunatelying not, it does back on to an outside wall however it is directly above an angled roof over the extended ground floor part of the house. Running a pipe on the outside of that wouldn't be ideal and would displease the wife hugely.

Ok, you could cap the soil pipe before it enters the bathroom and use a saniflow if you need to - always the last resort as they require regular maintenance, but I do know of some that only need replacing at the 20 year point.
A saniflow requires a constant fall but can also pump upwards 3m.
You could use one and pump up into the roof space and then fall away to drain - perhaps into the current vent pipe at high level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can see how that would work, except it takes me back to the original restriction of not wanting to rip out the bath - it's very well integrated with tiled side panels etc.

I have just short of a foot of accessible soil pipe between the end of the bath and the toilet itself, ideally what I'm looking for is something that will integrate into that area to help encourage a better flow. I have seen the Saniflo products but don't have a full understanding and wasn't sure if there was one that met my criteria.

I don't mind a bit of routine maintenance, especially a 20 year one as you mentioned.

You could cap the soil pipe before it leaves the side of the bath and then drop the saniflow outlet into the top of the horizontal pipe.
A shame to spend all that money because of an unthinking plumber.
The saniflow only uses a 3/4" (22mm) pipe that can be copper or plastic.
I take it the soil pipe exits the end wall not the side wall that the bath is on?
Can you not cut the soil pipe at the branch and pull it out from outside - the 3/4" pipe could then be clipped at each end under the bath and drop into the soil pipe outside
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see what you mean about the cap at the end of the bath. It is a shame, such a daft problem really.

The soil pipe is enclosed on the left hand wall. This was originally an outside wall but the house has now been extended on both floors so it is encased in a boxed in wall section within a new room.

So the lay out is soil pipe, wall, bath (lengthwise) then toilet. The back wall is outside but directly above an angled roof section with skylights. There will be a supporting wall/ lintel directly underneath too.

All in all nothing is accessible too easily (sorry!).

The Saniflo could do it but that leaves me with the challenge of running a vertical pipe from the toilet, and somehow breaking back in to the soil pipe from above. With the above info in mind, this sounds worse than moving the bath out. Even if I went for ripping the bath out, I may end up having to lift this higher than it is already, which won't please the kids.

Really sorry, it's not an easy one is it? I'm trying to think of the easiest and cheapest option, but also don't want to compromise the the aesthetics of what is otherwise a lovely bathroom.

The pipe could raise directly in the corner if you have one, through the roof space and into the soil pipe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it might be accessible from the other side I guess. The room to the left formerly the outside wall, has the boxing of the pipe there. This could easily be cut into in order to gain access. I don't know what the roof access would be like but it might be possible. The final factor would be chasing a vertical pipe into the wall from behind the toilet - that's my least favoured part of the plan, but the alternative of having visible pipes isn't an option for me.

I'll have to find a local plumber to discuss this further with, I also have mixed feelings about using the original guy under the circumstances even though I'm still in touch.

You could always box it in, in the corner?
Try the Institute of Plumbing website for a real plumber you can trust.