Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

My Biasi boiler is not producing hot water. Central hearing

Customer Question

My Biasi boiler is not producing hot water. Central hearing is fine. There is a flashing spanner
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Can you confirm the system pressure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid I can't seem to see a gauge in the boiler anywhere. Any idea how I can find it? I have the front panel lifted off. It's a Biasi Advance Plus Combi
There should be a guage on the front behind the drop down panel?
Do you have the GC number for the appliance on the data badge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I've pulled down the panel, but no sign of anything that looks like a guage, unless it could be concealed by a screwed on panel?
GC number 47-583-29
From that GC it comes up with the Advance Plus 25C - is this correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's correct
Ok, is there anything else on the display - an ER code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No error code, the screen just shows a temperature (19*), and on the left a flashing spanner, and on the right a tap, a radiator and a *C
Ok, lets trying shutting the power down for 5 minutes and then restarting - let me know any noises or fault codes.
If the spanner symbol comes up straight away the boiler is telling you it needs looking at before it reaches a full problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When restarting the boiler starts whirring up and then stops. Spanner comes on straightaway.
It sounds like the boiler does not know the fan is running.
Are you able to take off the front cover to confirm the fan is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like the fan runs on start up but all goes silent after a couple of seconds. The only noise is the clock ticking over
If you can take the cover off to confirm?
It is the air pressure switch that tells the PCB the fan is running, that is what we move to next if you prove the fan is running
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm looking at the manual and the component that it has highlighted as the fan, but I can't see a cover that can be removed (p.23 of Biasi User Manual). It has electric cables routing though it so I don't think it's possible to access? Sorry I can't send a photo.
Comparing the noise from when it is switched off to when it is switched on, there a slight background humming so there must be something moving in there
If you go to the flue on the outside you will feel pressure from the centre of the flue if you can get to it.
If there is then the fan will be running.
Can you gain access to the air pressure switch to check if it clicks when the fan is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There's no pressure from the flue terminal when the boiler is running, just a bit of steam.
I don't know where the air pressure switch is, it's not identified in the manual. There is a clicking noise when the boiler starts up but I can't be sure where that comes from.
Sorry - I'm not able to find my way around the boiler without the manual
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . ***** ***** opted out of the conversation, maybe due to work commitments.
I have read through your conversation. If your heating is OK then that proves most components are OK .
Your fault will be the hot water flow switch or the hot water temperature thermistor/stat. Change the hot water temp sensor first as its the cheapest , then the flow switch.
Hi if happy with your answer , could you please rate it , thanks