Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I had a question : my radiator valve ( bulldog 42 ) broke

Customer Question

hi i had a question : my radiator valve ( bulldog 42 ) broke off - can i just replace the angle TRV and not the lockshield valve?

do they have to replaced always as a set.

Just to be clear : the TRV head ( the white portion ) is what is broken .. not the actual pipe connections/the angle

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi , no you can replace just the trv . you can also just replace the head .no need to change the other side if its OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

I still couldnt solve my problem. I need a pegler bulldog valve that is quite old ( out of production since last 10 years ) . is there any way i can get it? ( i checked EBAY nothing yet).

OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i didnt understand. is there anywhere i can get the old TRV?

Hi , if its out of production for ten years it'll be difficult , the only place I can suggest is reclamation yards as some may have come in on old rads . can you upload a photo , I may be able to find something similar
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

i have just uploaded the photos.

Hi , does it have to be a bulldog . any other pegler trv head should fit . spin off the ring that would hold it on , get a new pegler thermostat in rad valve , turn to Max then screw it on .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wouldnt the calibration be off?
Maybe, but probably only slightly. I take it you don't want to change the whole valve .it wouldn't be too bad , a drain down , undo both compression nuts and fit new valve . the new nuts will both be 15 mm compression
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i only want to change the valve adjust ( the white stuff). i am not an expert - so doing as drain and refit is really out of scope for me. newer ones are not fitting the existing ring/pipe head

Have you taken the silver ring off that was attached to the plastic head?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
OK , sorry , just checking . I have found a bulldog trv online that you can buy and the head should just screw on .
Copy and paste this into your browser.its pretty long but comes out onto the page
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/pegler-bulldog-angle-thermostatic-radiator-valve-and-ls-drain-off-valve-pack-10mm-and-8mm.html?istCompanyId=900a3bad-522b-4af6-8801-046f5bc03260&istItemId=rtiqattwi&istBid=tztx&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh74ssSEVydW3BtSR1Nt6psVmWoSF94j5ATXENwtA3OyxoC_kTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is 10mm?

the valve that i have has 15 written on it.. please check photo..

Heres a 15mm one .

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/bulldog-trv-and-lockshield-valve-pack-15mm-643100?gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7kcyDUdSac4DNfwMrm4QCQH85J--wdfmzpJcLn0gO7xoC3krw_wcB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is gen2 - will it fit on the old pipe head? i dont think so.

They are all standard sizes . I've put new heads on old valves before , however keep to the same manufacturer and you will be fine . what area are you can could bring one round to show you ?