Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

Is a Range Powermax 155 an unvented system or not? I am

Customer Question

Is a Range Powermax 155 an unvented system or not?
I am looking to change the Powermax for a combi boiler and need to know if this needs to be done by a plumber who has the G3 qualification to work on unvented systems in order to safely remove the old Powermax or if any Gas Safe plumber can do this.
Is the qualification just 'Gas Boiler' that I need to check they have on Gas Safe or something else?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . the powermax was a strange boiler in the sense that it it contains an unvented cylinder inside , but any gas safe engineer can remove and fit a combi easily as all the necessary pipework will be there , gas ,flow and return, cold mains, hot out to taps . they don't have to have the g3 unvented certificate to do this as they wouldn't be installing an unvented cylinder but removing one and installing a combi.
Many engineers see a powerax and run as they are not understood by everyone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for your answer, I forgot to ask - if the plumber is moving the location of the new combi so will be extending/moving the original pipework for the new combi, this is still ok for an engineer without the G3 certificate? I'm only checking as you mentioned that all the necessary pipework will be there.

Hi , yes that's absolutely fine. Their gas safe qualifications are all they need for that .