canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

In our new house, the builders put a corner unit between the

In our new house, the builders put a corner unit between the washing machine space and the sink, so the hose won't reach. They propose to run hard plastic piping behind the unit connecting to a standpipe behind the washing machine, to save repairs to the units caused by trying to use copper piping. Is this a reasonable solution?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you mean the hose for the washing machine will not reach? Are you able to post a picture or two?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you connecting the drain pipe from the washing machine to the inlet on the sink? Is that how it was connected before? Is there not a drain for the washing machine behind it? If I understand correctly or assume correctly, the washing machine used to be connected to drain into the sink drain and now that the corner unit is installed the hose will no longer reach the washing machine?
If my assumption is correct, where are they intending to connect the hard pipe under the sink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It's a brand new house so never connected before. We just have a temporary leaky thing going on in the photo! I think everything would have been fine if they hadn't put that cupboard inbetween. Yes they would run the plastic pipe under the sink then behind the corner unit and then put in a standpipe (is that the right term) - he showed a photo of a metal pipe - behind the actual washing machine. At first all of it was going to be copper piping but they are very keen to persuade us that this would be difficult and disruptive, whereas the other solution would only take a couple of hours. Just a bit concerned that this won't cost us anything but any leaks in the future might and the builders/developers will be long gone!

It depends on where they would make the connection and the size of the pipe that serves the sink. Do you know the size of the pipe serving the sink? It would be the pipe that the branch in the picture is connected to. Is there a basement under the laundry? I am also confused, considering it is a new home, why was a pipe not installed for the washing machine? Do you know if there is a vent on the sink going out of the roof? Is any of the piping underneath accessible? There is a copper drain behind to washing machine now that the contractor has convinced not to be used?
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman