Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I believe the washer to the hot tap in the ensuite has split.

Customer Question

I believe the washer to the hot tap in the ensuite has split. Water is gushing out ands there is no isolation valve on the feed pipe either in the bathroom or pipe exiting the hot water cylinder. I am concerned about isolating at the col mains downstairs in case of running the hot tank dry. The central heating system can kick on if the temperature drops below 4 degrees ( unlikely, I think) but weare concerned about running hot tank dry.
Boiler situated in garage, closed pressure system. Hot tank sits on cold tank on upstairs level. I would like to isolate the gushing tap, but unable...please could you advise...
Many thanks, Rob
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.

Hi , turn off the cold mains stopcock . turn off hot water at programmer/ switch. The tank will empty . your heating will be unaffected . the only way to solve this problem is to either change the tap washer or fit an isolation valve on the pipe to the tap.