Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

Just got back away and realised that my hot water

Hi just got back for week away and realised that my hot water and heating arent working. On checking the boiler note that the pilot light had gone out. Initially reset it using reset button came on for 30secs and then went out and now not coming on at all. Its a potterton profile. Any advice or do I need to get someone out.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,it may be the pump has stuck . this happens after not being used for a while .
Turn off the power to it for 5 mins then back on to reset . see if will run . if the boiler fires up feel the pipes to make sure the heat is flowing through ( this will check the pump is running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try that now and get back to you shortly.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far so good seems to have come back on but this happened last time how long should be hold on for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gone out again.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Just check pipes in and out of the boiler to make sure the pump us running and water floiwing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I can hear them pumping as one vibrates when on.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , do you want to see how long it runs . listen to the sounds from the boiler for overheating, would sound like a kettle boiling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry dont understand, the pilot light went out after about a minute on the reset.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , did the boiler light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah for about a minute like last time.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , most likely the pump isn't running properly or the system has air in it . dou you have any bleed valves above the boiler or on the pipework next to the hot water tank . ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are a few valves about what does it look like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I send a photo?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , they may look like radiator bleed valves. Or may have a little cap on top. Yes you can see a photo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the photos
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
No , they didn't come up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture attached
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it either of these?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,that's the pump and the pump gate valves . where the pipes go into the hot vwater cylinder , are there any there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the only other valves i can see
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , in the second photo . it looks like the installers have used a drain off cock as a air release valve . do you have a spanner ? Or adjustable spanners ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I can go grab one. By 2nd photo do you mean the one that ends in 438.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Yes the valve on the upright bit of pipe work , there is a square nut on it at the top , open slightly to see if air comes out if water comes out , close it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small amount of air then water.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , try resetting then running heating and hot water at same time releasing ( hopefully ) air from that same valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when reset open the valve again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power off 5 mins like last time?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Yes . reset run heating and hot water . then as its running then go to that valve, open the valve, hopefully the pump will push the air out ( if it is an air problem ) .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well left it open until water came out again took alot longer this time. The pilot has gone out again basically when the water started coming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset again?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , you may have to repeat this a couple of times , is that OK ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah no problem how will I know when its worked?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
The boiler should continue to run without stopping ( rads should all get hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Its worth doing this as very often it ends up being an air issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power off for 5 mins each time right?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Well try less time if you like , just as long as it resets .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not resetting at all now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it longer.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boiler wont reset at all.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , can you please check one thing . at the bottom of the boiler is the plastic cover . it is held on by one screw ,under a small flap .undo the screw and the tray will release . turn the power off first . then look for the overheat reset button it is a plastic pop out button about the sizecvof a five pence piece. .push the button in if it has popped out .
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep already had that off its how i reset it the first time before i contacted you. Its pushed in.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I think it may be better to talk .
Toby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok phone you shortly.