canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

When our heating boiling starts occasionally the AGA goes

when our heating boiling starts occasionally the AGA goes out
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like it is working correctly, your overheat stat shuts the boiler down. You will need to get someone to descale or clean the internal waterways of the boiler to impriove the circulation and stop the kettling.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My problem is that when our oil heating
boiler starts up the AGA sometimes goes out when the oil is low in the tank.

I have installed a new oil tank, cleaned
the system out and it still happens. The boiler and the AGA take oil from the
same line.

I have read about oil lifters to cure this
problem but at £500 a time this seems excessive.

Roger

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. There are a couple of likely issues that are causing this. One could be that the oil tank is not level and also that the size of the pipe serving the fuel to these two appliances is undersized. With the lower tank level there would not be the weight of the fuel to help push the fuel through and without the increased pressure from the fuel the fuel is restricted by the smaller pipe size. Also the thermocouple for the stove could be a bit worn and when the fuel is decreased the pilot gets a little smaller and the thermocouple no longer senses the pilot and stops the fuel. I would start with replacing the thermocouple on the stove and that should fix the issue and also check that the fuel tank is level. If neither of those then enlarge the piping serving the two appliances and that will solve the issue.
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman