canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

We have taken out an old toilet and we are not sure

Customer Question

Hello, we have taken out an old toilet and we are not sure of the options available to us in terms of replacement based on the layout and pipework we have
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you measure from the back wall (from the finished wall and not the baseplate) to the centre of the toilet drain pipe, what is that measurement?
Also are you planning on doing the work yourself then? There is one other option besides hiring a plumber.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Mike, its 23 centimetres from the back wall to the collar on the pipe when measured in the middle
there is a large pipe to the right of the toilet with a number of collars not sure if this has to stay in place?
I would like to do the work myself if possible as its impossible to get a plumber here at the moment
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can email you photos of the whole thing if thats possible
You can post pictures here. That would be very helpful. Are you in the U.K.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I'm in Leicester (small village called Great Glen)let me take photos now and come back to you in a minute
Very good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think its loading the photos now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry for the delay that took some time to get them to load
let me know if you need close ups of anything
No problem viewing them now.
That type is very easy to install and if you are quite handy then it will be a breeze. The cistern on the wall can be exposed of also. It is part of the old toilet. The toilet that you buy will only require that it is a rear outlet as the old one was. Some outlet toilets are outlet through the floor so that will not work for you. It must be the rear outlet. The way that it anchors to the floor will vary depending on the model that you choose but all types will work for this application. You will basically set the toilet in place and anchor it to the floor and place the cistern and bolt it to the toilet, then anchor the cistern to the wall then connect the waste and water supply.
You will save plenty of money doing this yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** tell me what the vertical pipe is to the right and if this can be reduced, also if the waste pipe fro the sink on the right can be lowered (one of those pipes is redundant but i wonder if i could lower the remaining waste pipe to make covering them up easier and less intrusive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike, do you know what the other small grey pipe is for, it goes out through the back wall, does this plug into the back of the toilet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last question on the type of toilet, as the pipe comes in from the right of the toilet, I will need to have a gap between the back of the toilet and the wall to accommodate the pipe from he side, do i need a specific type or do i just measure the pipe and make sure there is clearance for the base of the toile to the back of the top unit
Lowering the pipe for the sink will be a task. Possibly you can just use the lower pipe then cap the higher one? Still looking at the pictures for the grey pipe.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,I've just come onto this question. Your previous guy was from the states.
Had a look at the pictures. The white fitting in the corner is an air admittance valve, used to allow air into the pipework ensuring good flow of waste. This was to save having to take the pipe up and out of the roof .
Are you going to use the same cistern again with a back to the wall pan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was going to throw the cistern and buy a complete new unit
i think they are called closed -coupled (google is dangerous eh :)
Well if you are going to get a close coupled toilet it will fit there fine .you have plenty of clearance . you can take the old white pan connector out of black elbow and use another . you could even take the black 4 inch waste back to the tee if you wanted it closer to the right hand side
Sorry opting out to let previous guy continue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so I need to answer these questions
1: The small grey pipe to the side of the large waste pipe on the toilet, what is this for and can it be moved if needed
2: The large vertical pipe in the corner, why is this so high and can it be reduced in size, if so how
Sorry about that. Another expert had responded. Maybe he was not thinking that you were being helped already. The small pipe looks like something that had been deleted. Was that pipe hooked up to the other toilet? It looks to be a deleted outside faucet? The large pipe should have been a vent stack but the size will allow good drainage anyway. It must be that tall for the vent to be above the flood rim of the sink and toilet.
The cap on top of that pipe is an air admittance valve that allows air in for good drainage. It must not be below the flood rim of the sink so unfortunately it cannot be lowered.
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your help
You are very welcome. I am very glad to help. Mike