Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have a boiler running even the panel board it's off for

Customer Question

Hi. I have a boiler running even the panel board it's off for water and radiators. I checked the valves them are closed but the heat still go to radiators.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , what is the model of the boiler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Firebird popular70
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi , when you say heat , is it heat as though when the boiler is normally on or could it be residual heat from the boiler. I think it may be thge pump overun thermostat fault . if its not that it will be the control box .

do you have an electrical test Meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
I think the switched live connection is live then that would prove there is a controls fault ( if clock is off etc) . if there is no npower to the switched live then this would indicate a boiler fault. T2 on the wiring block.
Do you have the installation instructions with the wiring diagrams?
If not you will find them here , copy and paste this into your browser and download first link
I N S T A L L A T I O N COMMISSIONING S E R V I C I N G ... - Firebird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I will check boiler at first.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the boiler thermostat moving the temperature up and down and boiler start when move up and stop when I move down. I presume it s working ok.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,I am pretty sure it will be the pump overun thermostat that is causing the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where it is located?how can I check if it work or not?can be fixed or have to be changed.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
It would have to be changed. Page 16 which is the wiring layout shows it wired into L1 and T1 . you would have to follow it back from there as its not shown on the parts breakdown .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I can't find that pump over run thermostat. I checked around the boiler and pump but nothing.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , do you have a copy of the installation instructions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the one on the link you sent me

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
In the wiring section7 on page 16 it shows the pump overun wired in .
But did you check there wasn't power at the switched live? Same page T2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I founded but what you mean with power at the switched live?brown from thermostat it's coupled together with brown from pump In the main switcher.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
So if you trace the brown wire from L1 , this goes to the pump overun sat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got it👍

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
That's great . but did you find T2? Check thgatv there is no npower there when programmer is off before buying the new part .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I will.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I checked t2 with the programmer off and there is live.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can be the programmer fault?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , yes , could be . do you have two motorised valves or one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 one for hot water and one for radiators

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
It could be the programmer.if there is live from it with prog set to off .
Can you take the front off the prog and see if the live goes? Have to pop out will get back later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took off the face of the programer and life still on the t2

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi is the programmer wired for 3 to hot water , and 6 for heating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am out now. I will be back on this Monday. Have a good weekend. 👍

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
You too
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It's 5 and 6 the panel wired For hw and heating

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , is there a wiring box that the motorised valves go to ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
The motorised valves when they motor over make a switch and liven up the orange on Honeywell valves. This goes back to the T2 at the boiler .
Are your valves Honeywell ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Danfoss

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , that's OK , it is still an orange wire.would you be able to see if there is power there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Panel control off. Motorised valves are closed. There is live in orange wires 2 of them.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Do any of the levers on the motorised valves feel loose or or over to one side? . double check the cloch is off for CH and hw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Levers are strong. I pushed them to check and they are going back in the closed position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the panel control it is 3 and 4 for hw and heat. Not 5 and 6. Sorry

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , would you mind turning the power off , take the two orange wires out of the connectors ( remember or write down where the are from) . then turn the power back on and see if you still have power on T2 at the boiler, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No power on t2 after I took orange wires off.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , I think the fault must bevon one of the motorised valves. Most lime the heating one. But to confirm , put the orange wires back one at a time checking for power at T2 till power back there. Hopefully we will finally have the answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hot water was live. 🎉

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Thank you God .
You can probably change just the head instead of the whole valve . that would save draining down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes just the head. Just the motor will be ok ?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Well , if you really want to make certain change the whole valve just in case the valve itself it stuck . but once you take the head off you could turn the valve by hand ( might need a spanner ) to see if it does turn easily .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the valve it is working ok. I turn with my hand.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK ,just thge head should be OK then . well done , perseverance won out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your help. I will keep watching the boiler for next days to be sure all ok. If I have any problems can I contact you?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Yes sure. Just continue with the conversation if needed, but will time out after 2 days
All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I have now live in both orange wires from valves. Boiler it s still running.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , can you take the programmer face plate off again and see if it stops, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took off the face and still live in wires.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Has anything been changed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What you mean?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Do you think anything might have been wired up wrong, because with the programmer off there should be no live ending up at the orange wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took of just the orange wires. All else stay the same

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , this is so strange . the orange wires only become live when the motorised valves motor over and operate a microswitch . and the motorised valves only motor over when they recieve a live from the prog , unless the pump overun is live . it's got to be the pump overun . back to square one .. Can you disconnect the pump overun stat and see if it stops , thanks