Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Plumbers, I hope you can help. My hotwater works fine

Customer Question

Hi Plumbers,
I hope you can help.
My hotwater works fine no problem comes on with the timer and when the boost button is pressed.
The Central heating though is hit and miss. Sometimes it will come on with the timers other times not. When I press the boost button on the boiler unit I often have to turn the thermostat on and off multiple times before the boiler will fire up and the heating will come on.
I've changed the PCB and Thermostat so confident that it's neither of them.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the make and model of the boiler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, It's a ideal icos, one other point to add. The expansion valve keeps going to 0 PSI.Regards
You are losing pressure through the PRV or on the system insternally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I'm not sure where it is being lost.I'll set it back to 2 PSI then in the morning it's back to 0
Outside there will be a pipe, about 3ft below the boiler flue and 15mm copper, this is the PRV discharge.When you refill the boiler and it heats up - check this pipe (you can even put a baloon or bag over to make sure you don't miss it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just been having a look at the Expansion vessel, I took the cap off and pressed the release button and a bit of water came out.Is that expected or do you think the diaphragm is broke?Regards
It should be air inside that bladder.It looks like it has split internally and will need replacing.BUT, the PRV should still hold 3 bar of pressure and is often damged when the expansion vessel fails, so this will need replacing also before we can carry on with getting the rest of the system working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it is this that is stopping the boiler turning on when the central heating calls for heat?
No, that will be a control problem.Do you have a wireless room stat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it's wired
Do you have a system boiler or combi?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
combi, it's a new build house
Wireless (RF) room stat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no wait sorry it's a system boiler, I have a tank in the airing cupboard. nothing is wireless
ok, you have a cylinder and 3 port valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 cylinder and 2 2 port valves
Ok, this could be the problem.Identify which one is for the heating.Every time the heating is not on and should be check this valve - there is a lever on the valve to open it manually. If the lever is stiff the valve is shut, if it is slack then it is open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have identified which one and it's pretty stiff
Is the heating on now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
ok, turn the heating on and see if it opens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so the heating just came on this time. usually it doesn't and that 2 port value just makes a noise as if it's struggling to do something
You will know if it fully opens as there is a microswitch that turns on the pump and boiler in the valve - but only when fully open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so does it look like I have a fault valve?
Does the pump and boiler come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has this time. but usually the valve just makes a noise and nothing comes on
ok faulty valve then - best to draion the heating and swap the whole thing.An easy swap.
When you change the head, change one wire at a time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok any suggestion as to where the cheapest place to purchase a Honeywell 2port valve is?
eBay usually;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honeywell-272848-22mm-Zone-Valve-V4043H1056/111795560630?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D5f9226fc89ff4bea9cdeeb93e2a0cb0a%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D201429795084