canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

I have an apartment in a block of flats my one is the first

i have an apartment in a block of flats my one is the first floor underneath my floor there is a car park.
there seems to be a leak going into the car park and i have been told that the leak is coming from a damaged soil pipe from my flat
are the soil pipes in the block linked to gether
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as far as i am aware that is building issue as opposed to my particular apartmenti need to clarify if i have or could have a individual soil pipe the property is under 10 years old and a new build by a company called fairview homes back in 2006.thanks
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. You are exactly right. The soil pipes for that floor would very likely be connected to the other apartment pipes. The fact that the building is so new is another sign that is is very unlikely to be a leak on a soil pipe. The leak may very well be coming from your piping though. One very common place to develop a leak in a piping system of that age would be in a shower neck connection. This is easily fixed without damaging any wall or ceiling finish. Remove any shower heads you have and install a cap where the shower head was. Slide the cover plate back on the shower neck so that you can see inside the wall where the neck threads into the plumbing. Turn the shower on briefly while looking in the wall and see if there is a leak. Often the neck will get cracked from adjusting the shower head angle etc. and will only leak when in use. Threading a new shower neck in is very easy. It is very likely to be only this and no need for a big investigation to find broken soil pipes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information i just have a quick question, my tenant has now confirmed the toilet in the main bathroom has some leakage around it and the lino is making a squishy noise around toilet seat when the press on the lino,would that give you more of an insight to knowing what the problem could be.many thanknsi will look to complete the satisfactory reviewmuch obliged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry just read my question doesn't sound very clearthe lino around the toilet is making a squishy noise which clarifys there is a form of leakage going on in that toilet area my question was what could the possibilities be could be the pipe that leads to the back of the wall or the base of the toilet has a crackand do you think it would be extensive workthanks
The piping on the back of the toilet is likely loosely fitted. It very well could be cracked also. If the toilet seems loose then the anchor may be loosened and need replacing also. It would be very easy to assess. Flushing and looking at the fitting to see if it is leaking at the connection or a crack in the pipe. Also if the toilet does not seem to be well anchored then it may need to be removed and refitted. If the pipe is cracked it may need to be replaced. If the flooring is very wet it may need to be removed and dried out before refitting again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very muchI will look to complete the review for good serviceThanks once again
You are very welcome. I am glad to help. Mike
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman