Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

I have some issues with my central heating and I have

Customer Question

hello i have some issues with my central heating and I have learned that i need to balance my system. I have discovered that the thremostatic valves may not be on the hot flow in side of some of the radiators. How do I check all so I can move them if required and is it true I should not have one in the room the house thermostat is i should just have a lock shield fully open?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
You are losing water from the PRV outside?
Newer TRVs can be on either.
You can check by firing the boiler for 5 minutes only, the hot pipe to each rad will be the flow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the system is water tight i have 1 radiator which is intermittently heating at the end of the system so i need to balance the system as i noticed all lock shield valves are fully open not open half a turn but when i was setting them i noticed that some of the thermostatic valve sides were hotter than the lock shield valve side so they wont work properly.i plan to identify the incorrectly placed valves,drain the system, swap them, replace the thermostatic valve in the room with the main thermostat with a lock shield valve fully open and set all to 1 half turn. then refill and bleed the air from the system. Would this be the best thing to do?
Start by closing them all and crack them open 1/4 turn.Heat for 10 minutes and the ones getting hot leave them as they are.Next open the valves another 1/4 turn until all the rads are getting hot.Just to make sure, repeat from cold again.