Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

FAO Plumberpro Why can't I communicate with you? I've had no

FAO Plumberpro Why can't I communicate with you? I've had no E Mails ?? You have responded to my question but I could't read it all as some of it was missing. Here it is : I have a worcester bosch greenstar 28i junior condensing boiler. The pressure gauge is at zero in the red. I have inserted the key and locked it but when I open the nut next to it water comes out. The radiators are spasmodic downstairs and don't heat up upstairs. At the moment the washing machine is working and it sits next to the boiler in the cellar. If I need to fix the boiler to get the gauge up why is there water in the boiler and do I need to wait until the washing cycle is finished so the water will run to the boiler rather than into the washing machine first? Can you do something so I can reply to you ?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any joy ?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I got your reply, Try the key again. They can be tricky to locate properly in the slot. When its in correctly it won't leak. a question of pushing up and then turning slighly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I've done that. All the rings are on it and it pushes in well and turns. I watched a You Tube video showing what to do but I assumed because the gauge was at nil the boiler needed water. However as I turned the plastic nut next to the key water flooded out. If the boiler is ok re water in it why is the gauge not moving? Anything to do with any of the pipes running into the boiler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS The hot water is fine
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , if the gauge is at zero, then it definitely needs filling. Are you pushing the key up far enough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes really hard. I thought that when the plastic nut next to it was turned nothing would come out if it needed water to move the gauge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I perhaps let all the water come out of the boiler then start all over. Not sure how much water the boiler holds though
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
The water crosses between the two o rings once in place from the mains cold pipe into the heating side of the system . The white nut is a tap that releases the cold water from the incoming cold[this is what gets heated ,then comes out hot taps). The heating needs to be filled up to 1.2 bar or half way into the green .as you push the key up it needs to be turned to lock the key in place. Once achieved it can be left in place for convenience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hang on. I'll take you down to the cellar and have a go
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right the key is in , pushed hard and locked on the closed padlock sign. There is no sound of water coming in and the gauge is at zero
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok, open the white nut till you hear water going through
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah , it's filling with no leakage !!
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ah, that's great , well done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gauge going up ! There is a plastic tube with a cap on it underneath the boiler that's got water in it . What's that? dribbling a bit at first but stopped now
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, its either the condensate pipe or the safety valve dripping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dial next to the blue light is set at 4.5. Is that for the hot water? The gauge is going slow . Is that normal? Halfway between 0 and 1 at the moment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gauge doesn't appear to be moving at the moment
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, 4.5 is fine , that's the boiler temperature adjustment.Once filled to 1.5 , turn off and then bleed the radiators if you have a radiator bleed key. This will release air. Go round all the dads till the air is released . You may have to keep going back to the boiler to refill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear water going in but the gauge seems to have stuck at 1.5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry 0.5
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
It might be that the incoming water pressure is low. Do you know what the mains pressure is like in your area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i think
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
You can't see water escaping anywhere?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. got a bowl underneath it in case but nothing's leaking !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i start the process again if that's possible?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok , the pressure should go higher than that . Try opening the white nut a bit further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nut came off. Water everywhere but turned mains off !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shit, if you pardon the expression
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put nut back in and turn water on?? Gauge still at 0.5 although there can't be any water in it
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok . The nut should go back on. When back on turn the stopcock but make sure it's open fully. The pressure should be higher but if its in the green and the rads are all filled with water and the boiler runs then that's ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switched off at the mains. Gauge not gone back to zero, bit odd??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i tighten the nut right up?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi the nut should go back on. I'm a bit worried that you might have a leak somewhere which may be why its not pressurising. Have you seen any damp spots anywhere, like ceilings etc. Also check the water is my dumping down that pipe you originally spoke about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i can't see any leaks. No dripping anywhere from the boiler. sShould it be plugged in to the mains? How long would it normally take to fill?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
The longest thing is usually bleeding the radiators. I would fill it up as far it goes,then bleed the rads and refill again . The pressure should hold though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I go and bleed the radiators shall i tighten the nut and go and do that?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
If The pressure won't go above .5 then I would leave it on whilst doing the bleeding to save you going back and forth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just come upstairs and the front bedroom radiator must be leaking as the water has run in to the living room through the ceiling !! Turned the water off at the mains !
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is the hard way to find the leak.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok well you've managed to fit the filling key and find the leak , I hope there's not too much water
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha...funnily enough the downstairs rads are warming up. I haven't been upstairs yet !! Is that you finished now. Have kept you long enough and I've just got to get my canoe out. Mains water is off. Got to have a look upstairs
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
If that's all you need .I hope I've been of help. If I have would you mind rating me, thanks, Toby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes , great help thanks very much. Haven't got a bucket you could spare have you !!
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
I've got a water Hoover that I use, I could post it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh How do i stop the radiator leaking if i turn the water back on
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
If the leaks on the radiator and the valves work , turn them off completely. You might have to take the plastic head off and make sure its completely tightened by using a spanner. If it has a thermoststic then turn right down , but be aware they are designed to open at 4 degrees as a frost precaution
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Toby
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome