Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

I'm not getting piping hot water through my mixer taps / shower

Customer Question

I'm not getting piping hot water through my mixer taps / shower in the upstairs bathroom anymore - the water is only lukewarm. In the kitchen, near the boiler the water still runs piping hot - what is likely to be the problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the make and model of the boiler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a Baxi combination boiler - Combi Instant 105e
It sounds like more of a problem with the taps than the boiler.Can you give the shower an extra twist off and see if it still happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm not sure what you mean, please explain? I've tried turning all mixer taps and shower in bathroom to the hottest setting and water still comes out mixed lukewarm and easy to touch. It used to be so hot you couldn't touch it on this setting. I've also tried descaler in the shower head but don't think this is the problem as its affecting the sink and bath too
It could be a faulty shower valve letting cold wTer into the hot pipework.Do you have valves on the shower pipework you can turn off and see if the hot water at the other outlets improves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see any valves on the shower. Its an old fitting, not electric, and most of the fitting is behind tiling in the cubicle. All I can access is the knob that turns shower on/off. It mixes the water so that its meant to get hotter as you turn the knob to the right. Is there any other way to check this?
Can you feel the pipes that feed the shower?Try running the basin and seeing if the hot pipe to the shower gets colder when you run the basin hot tap.