Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I am looking to purchase a property that has Thames Water foul

Customer Question

I am looking to purchase a property that has Thames Water foul sewer and a surface water sewer which services the property and the other other Victorian Terraces in the row. However a previous tennant has said that when it rains it smells badly in the back of the house when the kitchen and the bathroom are. There is a drain cover at the back of the house. Is this something that can be fixed easily e.g better soil traps fitted or will this need better pipe work fitting by Thames Water? So basically is this something that should put me off buying the property?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Certainly the issue can easily be resolved with some proper maintenance. The septic tank should be pumped out on a regular basis and if the tank lid is not fitted properly and if the bacteria in the septic tank is not balanced then it would certainly cause a smell. There may be an open pipe that is allowing rain water into the leach field also. The smell could also be caused by that open pipe which would simply require a threaded cap to be installed. All can easily be solved by the maintenance contractor tasked with maintaining the septic system.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This does not answer my question at all. I asked about a Victorian Terrace property and I am looking for a plumber with experience with Thames water. I was very specific about what that problem: the property is on top of foul sewer and suface sewer. The property does not have a spetic tank - as the property is not in rural Canada. I would like to continue waiting for a response which is actually applicable to my question.
Surely the names of things are different but it certainly does sound like an issue with an aerobic septic system that has not been well maintained. I will opt out and if you would like to continue with me just comment and I will opt back in. I would need to know what type of system that is there.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 9 months ago.
Hi , it may be that the foul soil has been run into the grey/rain water sewer.this could be from the house in question or neighbouring houses. I would recommend a full survey of the drains before buying as rerunning drains is a very expensive job.