Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

My shower is powered by a 3bar salamander pump fed by hot and

My shower is powered by a 3bar salamander pump fed by hot and cold supply to a mixer block.the shower keeps going cold even when there's plenty of hot water.if I turn it up it gets hot for a short while then goes cold again,any advice would be welcome thank you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , either the hot side of the pump may be faulty or the mixer valve.Is the shower valve thermostatic?, ie maintains the temperature at a set temperature
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mixer is a Mira excel not sure of model but it cost around the £400 mark.pump was second hand.how do I check?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, your shower valve is thermostatic.To test the pump you could turn off the cold supply and see how the pump runs just on hot, you could also turn the pump around so the cold inlet is in the hot side and vice versa.If the pump is ok then most likely the shower valve cartridge will need changing.How old is the pump and shower?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know how old,but it was unused for about 12 months.i took the cartridge out and cleaned it.i took ages to get it working again perhaps I've done it wrongly.if I buy a new cartridge will it fit straight in or will it need setting up?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no, it won't need setting up.Unfortunately they can't be cleaned up and repaired. Tried that . All the best . Please don't forget to rate my answer , thanks