Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

My Boiler gauge is at zero. Tried to fill boiler so gauge

Customer Question

My Boiler gauge is at zero. Tried to fill boiler so gauge goes up. None of the upstairs radiators and heated towel rail are heating up and downstairs ones warmer at the bottom presumably because of the lack of boiler pressure. When I'm filling the boiler the valve in one of the bedrooms spews rusty coloured water like a fountain and doesn't stop until the boiler gauge goes back down (should I turn off the stop cock immediately ?). I've unscrewed the valve wth the spindle in the middle and screwed it tightly back on but it leaks between the nut and the spindle on which the white cap fits. Is it a case of packing the gap between the nut and the spindle with the thin white tape that you roll up and push down into the gap with a bradawl ?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The valve seems to leak once the boiler gauge gets to about 1
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 9 months ago.
Are you able to remove the valves completely and cap them just to get your heat back on?It depends what sort of valves you have if you are able to repackage them.Can you upload a photo?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. Can I send you a photo tomorrow? Too dark now. I'm not sure what you mean about taking the valve out. Do you mean unscrew it and take the piece out with the spindle in the middle and just put the plastic cap back on? If so I don't think it will hold. Can't quite understand why rusty coloured water spewed out. Must have picked it up as it travels from downstairs. Unfortunately the boiler is in the cellar so I have to fill the boiler a bit then dash up two flights to make sure it's not leaking. Seemed to work ok until it got to 1 on the bar gauge. Whereabouts are you?
Nottingham.I mean remove the valves completely and cap the pipes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ooh, don't think I can do that. Bit technical.The water seems to be coming out of a small gap between the spindle and nut. It could need a but of that tape stuffed down (technical term !). If the bar gauge is low I suppose there's not enough water to fill the downstairs radiators. The nut is screwed tight
ok, do you have a photo of the valve?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll go and try and take one now. Hang on .....
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Some photos attached
It knackered.Best to hold on until tomorrow and simply swap the valve, you will just need to undo the nut on the copper pipe and swap it out.I do not think there is much you can do for now, you could try wrapping in PTFE and tightening it in temporarily.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What, replace the valve in the photo I sent to you with a new one? Can you buy the nut and spindle?
Something like this;http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-angled-trv-with-lockshield-white-chrome/31811
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the link. Seems straight forward. I doubt there's any water in the radiator so I just to swap them over, yes.
Yes, cure it for good
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, thanks for your help ! Fingers crossed !
Come back if you get stuck