Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Just installed a triton 8.5kw electric shower, when I press

Customer Question

Hi just installed a triton 8.5kw electric shower, when I press the on/off button the power light goes off. we've still got power to the shower but not getting hot water. i've turned the water pressure up to maximum then turned off to minimum but still no hot water.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 9 months ago.
Was the wiring installed already?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi - yes the wiring was installed already as there was a shower already in.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi - its on separate fuse in the fuse box, nothing else is on that fuse, on heavy duty electrical wire, we've had a shower in for many years, the shower went knackered hence replaced it with this one.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
OK lets try and keep to this area please, to answer your questions, the reason I asked about the cold water is that there is a pressure sensor in the appliance that measures the water pressure - if the pressure is low it wont switch on the heater in the boiler. Its to protect the heater from coming on when there is no water in the boiler. There are also a number of thermal cutouts that can trip or blow if the temperature gets too high. Now from what you have said you have electric to the supply point on the boiler and you have a good pressure passing through the shower on cold - this only leaves a component failure. The item is still under warranty and less than 28 days old. I would be taking it back to the supplier who have a liability to you the customer and asking for a replacement or refund or alternatively getting Triton (and this is at your wish not the retailers) out to sort it out. If you start playing with it you will invalidate the warranty - Ian
Do you have a meter to check the power to the shower, it sounds like a poor connection if you are losing the light when you try and turn the shower on