Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

We have had a new heating system installed as part of a

Customer Question

We have had a new heating system installed as part of a house renovation project. All the radiators and the new boiler are now installed and we have had the heating "zoned" as part of the house is for my parents use. Our heating works fine but the main radiator in what will be my parents sitting room only gets partially warm even when all the pther radiators ( upstairs and down ) are hot.
Our plumber insists that this is because the radiator is big and the furthest from the boiler ( not true as the downstairs porch and toilet are the furthest away and they work fine albeit they are smaller) and that the only way to make the radiator work is to crank the room thermostat up to maximum.
This makes no sense to me as the other radiators work..help please...we feel like we are being fobbed off - the contract has been extremely problematic ( they are 2 months over due and the quality of work has not always been great)
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 9 months ago.
Hi, open the valves both sides of the radiator fully and see if it gets warmer. One side may have a cap and if so it will need to be removed and the valve head turned with a spanner(easy to do and no chance of a leak as long as you turn just the uppermost part.Feel the pipes each end. Is one warm and one cold? Do they both feel the same temperature? If they both feel the same temp there could be a pipework issue, in that both sides could be connected to either the food or the return, instead of one of each
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi when the radiator finally comes on it gets warm both ends but the issue is that we have to have the thermostat turned up to 28 degrees before it will even start to warm up..today the heating in that side of the house has been on all morning...the front door is wide open ( which leads directly into the room in question so it is damn cold in there) because we still have tradesmen working here and yet with the thermostat on 21 degrees the radiator doesnt come on.
The other rads all work fine just this one...surely we dont have to waste fule cranking up the heating to nearly 30 degrees before the radiator calls for heat? The plumber insists that this is correct but i am sure we have either a faulty radiator or faulty thermostat..what do you think?
Hi , how many radiators do you have. I think the reason you need it on 21 degrees is that it is taking so long for the heated water to get round the system, that's why I am asking how many radiators and if you have added extra.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi on Mums side of the house there are 5 radiators and a heated towel rail....but the issue is that to get the sitting room radiator to heat up we need it on 30 degrees not 21...21 would be reasonable but the plumber is saying we have to have the thermostat on 30 degrees to make the sitting room radiator work.
This means that in order to even start to heat my Mums living room we need to have the room thermostat on almost maximum which surely isnt right?
Hi , no that isn't right. Every radiator should get hot even if the stat was at 15 degrees, I think the system really needs to be checked by a proper heating engineer. There could be pipework sizing issues if the system is over 12 radiators .. could you get an independent heating guy in to give it the once over, would probably just be an hour charge for a diagnosis. Where abouts are you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi we are in North wales - just over the english border ( 14 miles from chester)...the boiler services 10 radiators and 2 heated towel rails...and is all brand new. it is zoned into 2 zones one for my mums side of the house and one for mine.How do I go about getting a reliable plumber/heating engineer? I dont know anybody local and it would be a case of looking in the yellow pages for someone to come and look at the system.
Hi age concern have a trusted trader service or gas safe have a postcode search facility. Rated people an trust a trader arnt too bad as they rely on good reputation