How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Plumberpro Your Own Question
Plumberpro, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 634
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Plumberpro is online now

I have a lead pipe in my (Edwardian) flat that is still active

Resolved Question:

I have a lead pipe in my (Edwardian) flat that is still active and is partly buried in a wall. It branches, and one branch has been capped off but has swollen. This section has leaked in the past but was fitted with a jubilee clip. The jubilee clip is now covered in black fur. I've asked a couple of plumbers to take a look at it with a view to removing it/re-capping it but they sucked their teeth and basically say they'd rather not touch it! What kind of plumber should I get to deal with this? I feel like we need someone with a bit of expertise to take a look at it. Is there some way to feed a plastic pipe through rather than digging it out of the wall and maybe damaging it? Apart from the danger of leaking, it's very unsightly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , the problem with lead in old Edwardian flats is that are often joined to the other flats too. I would speak to the other owners and see if you are on the same page about replacing the old lead. Then the plumber would be able to run a new pipe and also get access to the other flats to confirm by a process of illumination a what the pipe is supplying(mains?) and b who the pipe is supplying. Often by turning of each supply pipe in turn.Is everyone's water fed from tanks on the roof/in loft? .You may be able isolate yourself from the block system by putting in a combo boiler/megaflo and capping off your lead pipes.Start with the other tenants they may be worried about their lead too
Plumberpro and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you

Related Plumbing Questions