Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

My main water pipes at home burst at the hate valve

My main water pipes at home burst at the hate valve today. I shut the main water supply to attempt to repair the problem.
It seems there was a leak at the gate valve. Trying to figure out if I need a new one or just to tighten it up.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 9 months ago.
Hi , for the cost it is better to replace the valve as lever ballvalves can't be repaired adequately and will often fail again . Would you mind rating your answer please, thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And what is the part I need to replace?
Is it just the handle or the entire housing?
Will you perhaps send me an image of a similar valve I need to buy?
Reason is I live in a non English speaking country, and require an image to show salesman.
Also, do you have instructions on how to install it once I buy it?
Hi, if its the handle that has fallen off then put it back on and tighten the nut. If the valve has failed and is leaking then best bet is to take the valve to a plumbers merchant and ask for the exact one as a replacement.Yes it will need plumbers mate, about 22 turns, clockwise around the fitting as you are looking at it. This will stop the tape spinning off as you tighten it on to the fitting.It is hard to tell exactly what the fitting looks like whilst in place, ie does it have a male thread, female thread. If you can spin the valve out I can help you find the right one
Early start in morning. If I don't get back tonight I will reply around 9am
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience