Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have an Ariston immersion tank with the little expansion

Hi, I have an Ariston immersion tank with the little expansion tank next to it. We do let the water get really hot, and I noticed it dumping the hot water out of the drain pipe this morning. I think it's been doing it for a few days, because I've unexpectedly had to use the boost a few times. Is that some kind of safety feature if we've let the temperature get too high, or do you think it's a problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi,yes it is a safety valve. You will have two on your tank/system . A temperature pressure one (t and p) and a pressure one.

These open when the temperature gets too high, or, when the pressure gets too high due to a faulty pressure reducing valve or a flat expansion tank.the temperature safety valve will open at around 90 _95 degrees c. The pressure safety valve will open at around 6 bar

Try turning the temperature down on the hot water to 62. It should be above 60 to kill bacteria and below 65 to prevent scale.

If the problem continues it may be that the temperature stat has failed or the pressure reducing valve or the expansion vessel.

To work on unvented cylinders a person must either be gas safe or have done a unvented course