Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

My elderly parents have issues with their central heating

My elderly parents have issues with their central heating radiators, leaks, powerflush, leaks etc and need some advice on what to do, below is the history: advice appreciated:
BACKGROUND
3 bed house, old bolier and pipes but rads were <8 years old. No filter fitted.
HISTORY
******2015 JANUARY
Upper middle room large rad had a leak behind the actual rad breaking open/pinhole leak
Bathroom small rad also had a pinhole leak same time.
PLUMBER PUT ON NEW RADS AND ALLEGEDLY DID A POWERFLUSH
1 WEEK LATER
Leak behind rad in front room downstairs.
NEW PLUMBER REPLACED RAD
3 WEEKS LATER
Leak from upstairs front bedroom and box room
PLUMBER REPLACED BOTH RADS AND PUT INHIBITOR IN TANK
After this work, some Rads were not getting hot properly but the bathroom one was VERY hot. But time passed into 2016 without event.
******2016 JANUARY
Leak in dining room Rad, isolated but not replaced.
MAY (NOW)
Leak in bathroom rad again, isolated but dripping into bowl so thermostat valve on rad may not be good either.
NOTE: My dad has dementia and I managed to get out of him today that seems he used to put inhibitor stuff in the tank from time to time when he noticed black spots on the cement outside the house under the overflow pipe. He must have stopped doing this ages back because he cant get into the loft.
SUGGESTION FROM NEW PLUMBER AS MINIMUM COST/DISRUPTION
Powerflush system properly.
Replace both leaking radiators. (the one downstairs that was off/isolated and bathroom)
Put inhibitor into tank and do regularly if and as needed.
Later in future replace boiler.
My worry is spending my parents money on this will be wasted with more issues later and is it possibly better to replace all Rads again and in one go with properly flushed system? is that best or will the above be ok?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, there may be air getting into the system which is causing the rads to rust out. I would investigate this. Turning the boiler into a sealed system would solve this. (Cheaper option to replacing boiler)This is removing the header tank and installing an expansion vessel and safety valve, or replacing the boiler with a system boiler(sealed system,by design, built into the boiler ) or combi boiler( sealed system by design also). When the system is changed/boiler replaced the whole system should be powerflushed and inhibitor added.